Woman Loses $400,000 to Nigerian Scammers

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Online scams are nothing new, and by now I'm sure most people visiting this site are bored stiff of even hearing about them. One of the more rampant scams on the Internet for a while has been tied to the country of Nigeria, where there are apparently many ready to find a sucker on these and other shores to make a quick buck. In a recent case, it was revealed that people continue to fall for such ploys, some to the worst possible degree.

In the case of Janella Spears of Oregon, her naivety cost her an incredible $400,000. She originally was contacted by some Nigerian scammer who promised huge payoffs for small donations. Originally, the money she was asked to send didn't total much, but after the scammers realized how naive she was, they ended up stealing over $400K, which is hard to even comprehend.

This wasn't a quick transaction, either. The entire event took over two years to finish, and despite her family telling her that it was a scam, she continued until she was broke. It's easy to outright flame someone like this, but the important thing to gleam from it is that people actually still do fall for these scams. Hard to believe that the largest known Nigerian online scam to happen, happened now, even years after they've been known about.

nigerian_scam_111908.jpg

When Spears began to doubt the scam, she got letters from the President of Nigeria, FBI Director Mueller, and President Bush. Terrorists could get the money if she did not help, Bush’s letter said. Spears continued to send funds. All the letters were fake, of course. She wiped out her husband’s retirement account, mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car. Both were already paid for.

Source: KATU News

Krazy K

Partition Master
Good. If she knew and still went through with it and can loose 400 grand, then she never knew the real value of that money. I can only hope that starting over will make her realize the gravity of the situation she put herself and her family in.

Seriously, the president is going to send you a letter?

Want to start a pool on how long it will take before the husband leaves her? She must be damn hot to be that stupid.

DOH! I clicked that link and her picture is in the story.

Last edited:

slugbug

Coastermaker
Lose a few hundred to a scammer and you're unlucky. Lose $400,000 and you're a total moron. Seriously, how stupid can one person be.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Im not saying that there should be a licensing exam for using the Internet...

But we don't let just anyone operate heavy machinery do we?

I feel bad for older people. Especially the ones who refuse to be pragmatic.

Edit:

That woman is mentally retarded/old and needs to turn her assets over to her next of kin for management...

Cause she's a dumb ho. (not implying shes a whore here... but what a dumb ho.)

Last edited:

moon111

Coastermaker
There's people who've poisoned their own families to get attention. I have a feeling this is similiar. She just wanted attention. I find it easier to believe someone was that crazy rhen that stupid.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Sum it up this way: People don't know when to quit.

She kept forking over money hoping she'd get the original money back, couldn't cut her losses. With a mortgage, loan, and lein on the car, she's pretty much ruined her life.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard

She kept forking over money hoping she'd get the original money back, couldn't cut her losses. With a mortgage, loan, and lein on the car, she's pretty much ruined her life.
As a Voyer of humans for these many years, I find it neccessary to soon leave for my own planet.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

That's what's scary. It's not as though she's young and can just go back to work to make up for her losses. She's probably retired... so what's she to do now? Definitely not a good spot to be in.