Wirless USB Adapter trouble!!!

scarrylarry

Obliviot
Hello Everyone Recently I Upgraded my computer from SP1 to Sp2. I had

trouble loading SP2 in the past so I started from scratch and reloaded

windows My Specs Are AMD Athlon 2800+ 2.09 Ghz processer 1 Gig ram

Radeon 9800 Pro Gfx & Soundblaster Sound Cards With Windows XP SP2 Now.

My problem is my Linksys wireless USB adapter (model No.WUSB11Ver. 2.6)

is not always making a great connection to the internet. Before I upgraded to

SP2 I had no trouble signal was always exellent but now it drops to very good

or just plain good sometimes it tells me there is little or no connectivity and

even when it's on very good pages take forever to load or it say cannot find

page or cannot detect proxy settings. I HAVE UPDATED THE DRiVER with no

luck and I am less than 100 feet from the router. SP2 came with a firewall

could that cause a problem and if not is there a better linksys adapter I can

upgrade to for better and faster connections. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, since you mentioned the Firewall, maybe you will want to disable it JUST to see. Go into your Control Panel and disable it in there.

You may want to see if there is a firmware update your router also. You could try ununinstalling the USB NIC driver completely, then re-installing.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
When the adapter loses conectivity does it hang explorer? I have a DLink adapter and it randomly switches itself off, hanging explorer and then I have to just pull the plug on the pc and restart :(

Oh and sorry, no idea what's wrong with yours, apart from the firewall which Rob mentioned.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
RazorBack said:
When the adapter loses conectivity does it hang explorer? I have a DLink adapter and it randomly switches itself off, hanging explorer and then I have to just pull the plug on the pc and restart :(

Oh and sorry, no idea what's wrong with yours, apart from the firewall which Rob mentioned.

I am starting to wonder if D-Link just makes bad routers. I have had two WiFi routers from them so far, and both of them like to kick my net off at random times. It always comes back right away, but it doesn't matter once it's already made my net application time out.

I am two feet from the router too, which makes matters worse.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I can just wait until September when I move to uni, no more worries about internet! 10mb internet is provided through a LAN socket in every room :D

Oh and the weird thing is, my sister's pc has the same adapter which works 100%! I'm going to update my BIOS on the mobo today, seems they've added some USB support. Might fix it, who knows.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
RazorBack said:
Oh and the weird thing is, my sister's pc has the same adapter which works 100%! I'm going to update my BIOS on the mobo today, seems they've added some USB support. Might fix it, who knows.

My friend had a similar problem, but it wasn't with USB. Once he updated his BIOS, his network worked perfectly. It's strange.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
Rob Williams said:
I am starting to wonder if D-Link just makes bad routers. I have had two WiFi routers from them so far, and both of them like to kick my net off at random times. It always comes back right away, but it doesn't matter once it's already made my net application time out.

I am two feet from the router too, which makes matters worse.
di-link makes CHEAP routers, some models work ok, others are full of bugs.
also being very close to the AP can cause as much problem as too far away (plus wireless seems pointless that close)
try it at 5 to 10 feet.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
ScarryLarry at 100 feet you may be pushing the realworld range on that thing, depending on what is between you and the AP.
have you tried being closer?

scarrylarry

Obliviot
Thanks fo the help thus far there was a firmware update for the router. I

loaded that and things seem to be ok for now haven't had any problems

yet!!! Maybe I fix it. I never got a hangup in explorer just the INTERNET

Explorer. As far a the Bios it came with the computer so I'll have to do some

reading to find out what kind I have and then maybe i'll update that to. I've

also got nowhere to move the PC so it's stuck where it is but the router is in

the very next room so distance is not a problem. thanks again all.