Windows Xp 64Bit

Clovis

Obliviot
Im running a AMD 64bit Processor/Motherboard and i hear this is comming out soon! infact you can download the beta off microsoft.com

Whats some speculation on this? how would a 64bit OS help my 64Bit Hardware?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Windows would run faster :)

Some software may work better, but not by much. Games would probably run a little bit better..

There's not much software out there that's coded for 64Bit, so a lot of it would still likely run at 32 bit from what I can tell.

Once the full version of the OS comes out, I am sure there will be a lot of benchmarks going around then. That's when we will really be able to see how much of a difference their is.

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
The most common misconseption about 64-bit is that people thing "Hey its 64 bit! That means it rund 2 times as fast as 32-bit!" Well there wrong. In my experience, applications run at about 150% on 64bit, and for a designer like myself, thats a prity good jump. Todays games wont do much beter, but once they come out with ones in 64bit, I expect to see a huge jump in quality.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I have a copy waaaay over at my home in Mississippi. A friend of mine downloaded the beta exactly like what's been said.. He was using it with a 3200 and an asus a8v deluxe. Had a 200g partitioned off for the 32 and 64 bit versions. From what he told me he liked the 64 bit a little better but performance wise it's not any better for gaming. Most games out now will run faster and better with the 32 bit version.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been using 32-Bit and 64-Bit Windows equally since earlier this year, and I still have a hard time recommending x64 right now. I have a lot of software that will not run in x64.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
After looking into and doing some research on my own I've concluded that it will be benificial to have one day... That is WILL be a good OS. BUt for now its just so new that nothing works well with it. Some hardware doesnt have drivers for it some 32 but applications ont work on it at all, and lastly nothing can take advatage of it yet. (Its kinda like a dual core comp with sli) But one day when they work out some of these isues this OS is gonna be nice to have if you have a 64bit processor. (or dual) :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think Dual Core will be more useful before x64 will be. It will take a while before game developers release native 64-Bit games/apps.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Most likely yes. I just wish x64 was more compatible with today's applications. Especially since its cheaper on newegg right now :)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Rob, you ever tried 4 gigs in 64? If so does it see it all? Guy I know is only getting it to see 3 on his PC...Thanks bra

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I could never get 4GB to work in x64 either. I believe x64 SP1 is equivelent to the SP2 for WinXP. If he has the option in his BIOS to enable the PCI MMIO memory hole, then that may be something he could try out.

madmat

Soup Nazi
He has it mapped in software, if he tries in hardware it won't boot windows.

I'm of the opinion it has to do with his core stepping there...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just believe that x64 has the same thing that SP 2 has... that's causing it to not use the full 4GB. Especially since he sees 3GB no problem.. it's the same scenario of trying it with SP2.