Windows Home Server Preview

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We have a look at the beta version of the Home Server software, which you’ll be able to purchase separately or as part of a Home Server bundle from PC makers like HP. With its combination of features and simplicity, this is one future home networking product that’s worth looking forward to.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I am not sure if i missed out this information from your review ..
but the question i have is:
during your testing of the WHS .. regarding the media sharing options ..
does it work similarly to the Digital Media Server ?

does WHS allow client PCs to upload media files to it, not through the backup ways .. so you can keep only 1 copy of media file on server and share among all the client PCs..instead of, a copy on WHS, and another copy on the Client PC in which the media is backed from ..(in this case, if i delete the media from the client PC, the change will reflect to the WHS?)

MacMan

Partition Master
Regarding Backups!

We have a look at the beta version of the Home Server software, which you’ll be able to purchase separately or as part of a Home Server bundle from PC makers like HP. With its combination of features and simplicity, this is one future home networking product that’s worth looking forward to.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here!

Regarding OS backups, rather then use words, I will let the following VIDEO link simply show you how simple it can and should be:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html

U

Unregistered

Min/Max hardware reqs for WHS

What are the min/max requirements for WHS? Specifically the CPU, will it install/run on MP boxes? I'm running 2003 and am thinking about downgrading- it is overkill for home use and is missing the home-based bells and whistles.

thanks!

-lance