"Windows Family Discount" For Real?

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
From the Windows Vista Team Blog (http://www.windowsvistablog.com), a Microsoft Corporation web site:

Windows Family Discount

Also, today we're announcing news that makes it easier and more economical for those of you with multiple systems at home -- like many of you who read this blog -- to upgrade to Windows Vista. If you have need for fewer than 5 licenses for home use, you can upgrade all of your home systems by taking advantage of the Windows Vista Family Discount. (Volume licensing is the way to go if you have need for more than 5 licenses.) This program will also begin at our retail availability launch on 30 January.

The Windows Vista Family Discount was in part inspired by feedback from tech enthusiasts like you who told us that previously it was less than convenient to upgrade every node on their home networks.

We heard you loud and clear in planning the Windows Vista Family Discount. Here's how it works:

* Buy a retail copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (full or upgrade version)
* Between 30 January – 30 June, order up to two copies of Windows Vista Home Premium online
* Pay only $49.99 for each copy of Windows Vista Home Premium
* Valid in North America (US and Canada)
* On 30 January, go here for details; we've also a special site for our French-speaking customers.

Then, today on Neowin.net (via Techgage): Vista Family Discount Bites Back

Many (if not all) users who took advantage of Microsoft’s Vista Family Discount have been issued invalid installation keys and cannot install Windows Vista Home Premium. Microsoft confirms that the keys are indeed valid, but not for Windows Vista. The CSR I spoke with was unable to tell what the key was for, but it did appear to be a valid key, for something.

If the keys issued for Vista Home Premium under the Vista Family Discount aren't bogus, but aren't 'turned on', then isn't the Vista Family Discount offer the very definition of fraud? If Microsoft doesn't plan on making good on this offer (posted on a site run by Microsoft), I hope someone brings a lawsuit, to keep them honest.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree completely. As I've said a hundred times before, it's the legal customers that keep getting shafted, no matter what. Microsoft is not stupid... they have to fix this, they have no option.

It's just a matter of how long it will take... if it takes any significant amount of time, then we can be sure there will be a lawsuit on the horizon.