Windows 7 vs XP vs Vista

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not much of a surprise to me that Windows 7 performs so well at this point. It's built on Vista, but slimmed down... of course it's going to be damn stable and more stable than Vista. Not a bad thing though. This is one OS release I'm looking forward to.

haste

Obliviot
Vista all the way. Windows 7 will be better, but I don't think current Vista users will have a reason to upgrade, because I think Microsoft will be able to make Vista more like 7 with another service pack.

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7...that is a different story.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I can't wait to ditch Vista by the wayside... and XP as well.

XP is showing its age, it doesn't support new interface standards such as AHCI for SATA drives, is hard drive agnostic, and generally requires drivers on a thumb drive just to get base functionality working after any install.

Vista's idiosyncrasies are just plain annoying, and it does not include SSD optimization and performance tweaks that Windows 7 will bring. Some of which include completely changing how caching and general writes are handled to preserve the life of the SSD. I'm tired of moving a single file and having entire directories automatically change how they are viewed and how they are sorted with no rhyme or reason.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I can't wait to ditch Vista by the wayside... and XP as well.

XP is showing its age, it doesn't support new interface standards such as AHCI for SATA drives, is hard drive agnostic, and generally requires drivers on a thumb drive just to get base functionality working after any install.

Vista's idiosyncrasies are just plain annoying, and it does not include SSD optimization and performance tweaks that Windows 7 will bring. Some of which include completely changing how caching and general writes are handled to preserve the life of the SSD. I'm tired of moving a single file and having entire directories automatically change how they are viewed and how they are sorted with no rhyme or reason.
I KNOW 98 2nd edition asks for drivers of thumb drives, but never had a problem with XP or Vista. I use a thumb drive a lot at work on cust puters

Merlin ( who uses Vista on 3 machines, XP on notebook )

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I KNOW 98 2nd edition asks for drivers of thumb drives, but never had a problem with XP or Vista. I use a thumb drive a lot at work on cust puters

Merlin ( who uses Vista on 3 machines, XP on notebook )

I wasn't clear, sorry. I mean that if you install XP on a new motherboard, the ethernet port, onboard sound, and anything else probably won't function. It can't even run a graphics card beyond 1280x resolution without issues.. Since the ethernet port does not work you would have to use a thumb drive to install base level hardware drivers to get up and running. If this is normal for 965P and P35 chipset hardware, it is certainly normal for anything newer.

Vista, in all it's bloated glory, at least gives you functionality out of the box once again (except for the Xonar). Vista even works fine at 1920x1200 resolution without a current graphics driver.