Windows 7 to Sell in UK for Half of US Pricing

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Living in Canada, I tend to know what it's like to pay more for something than it's worth. Comparing what things cost in the US and then doing a simple currency conversion will prove just how much more we overpay for things. But, I'll be the first to admit that Canadians in no way get hit as hard as other countries around the world, such as countries in Europe, and the whole of Australia.

Finally, though, European consumers will catch a break when Windows 7 sees its release, and the pricing differences seen are significant enough to cause US consumers to shout, "What the?!". The cost for the Home Premium edition will cost £65, which is actually less than half the price of the upgrade version over here. Amazon has said that these prices should be treated as indefinite, so it doesn't look at all like it's a error.

No questions about it... this is an incredible deal for Euro consumers. Over here, you sure wouldn't see too much complaining about a full version of Home Premium for roughly $120, that's for sure. It is a very interesting situation, though, because that version in Europe still includes Internet Explorer 8 on the disc. The question also arises... why exactly is the pricing over there so different than here?

If I had to guess, I'd assume it would essentially be a preemptive strike to avoid potential frivolous lawsuits that the EU loves to throw at Microsoft at every turn. But something also tells me this won't help too much, as previous disputes have had little to do with pricing, but rather monopolies.

windows_7_official_box_art_060809.jpg

In the UK, full versions of Windows 7 Home Premium -- not an upgrade edition -- are going to cost around £65. That's less than the price the Yanks have to pay just for an upgrade version -- $120 (£72) -- and half what they'll have to cough up for a full version -- $200 (£122). Amazon.co.uk is already selling the full version of Home Premium for £65, and Play.com is selling it for a little more at £75, but with free delivery.

Source: Crave UK