Windows 7 to Follow Vista's Edition Scheme

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Oi, not this mess again. Prior to Vista's launch, one of the biggest complaints with the OS was the number of different versions available. It was such a big complaint, in fact, that we felt compelled enough to write an article about it. Prior to Vista, things were kept simple. It was only with Windows XP when things began to become a little confusing. Although, choosing between Home and Professional is still quite simple compared to having four choices to deal with.

Like Vista, 7 will offer four main editions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate. There's also a Starter edition, but like the same edition for Vista, that will be designed for third-world countries, and it will again likely limit the user to a maximum of three running applications at a time. Aside from that, given we had the same editions with Vista, though, I think we can pretty-much assume what each will include in W7.

Personally, I don't mind all the editions. I figure if people can fine-tune what they want, and not have to pay for what they don't, then it's all good. I do have to wonder about the Ultimate edition, however. Needless to say, aside from the extras that came bundled with Vista Ultimate (which I'm betting most people didn't even use), the extras on the downloadable front were a bit lacking. Hopefully Microsoft can actually deliver an Ultimate edition this time that feels worth it.

windows_7_multiversion_012809.jpg

Considering that the public beta is clearly labeled as Windows 7 Ultimate, there was little reason to think that Microsoft would back off on the different tiers, despite what sort of difficulties or confusions they cause for consumers. With all the advancements in Windows 7, especially the new taskbar, we can’t help but think that users of the lower-tiered versions of the OS would feel even more left out if such new UI changes were excluded.

Source: Tom's Hardware

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It would be nice if they did do away with Home Basic. Foisting that limited OS onto users that don't know what the differences are between it and Home Premium isn't going to do MS any favors in the PR department. If I see a laptop with Home Basic on it I recommend against it... although I generally recommend against Vista on a laptop regardless.

Thankfully this information is very preliminary, it is not confirmed. There is still hope MS will see the light of day and reduce the number of main versions just a bit. The bigger question, is what versions are limited to what features and at what prices.

We are still going to have Windows 7 "N", 7 "K", and 7 "KN" versions in addition to all these others too.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Seems to be easier if they had one disk for all versions, entering the key code would determain what part of the OS would be installed.
Some Demo programs give you the key code for demo mode, if you want to buy the program, you just get a new key code and it opens up the full blown program.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Seems to be easier if they had one disk for all versions, entering the key code would determain what part of the OS would be installed.
Some Demo programs give you the key code for demo mode, if you want to buy the program, you just get a new key code and it opens up the full blown program.

Ummmmmmmm, that is how it works for Vista already.......

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Alright, that "Problem Steps Recorder" is fantastic... I had no idea that feature existed. Kudos to Microsoft for conjuring up that one... it should come in handy many times over. I admit, top lists are usually boring, but that one's quite good. I can't believe Windows will finally allow direct ISO burning. Huge win there. Like normal CD-burning though, it will probably be much slower than if you used a stand-alone application.

Nice find... I'll post about this in Monday's news.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The Problem Steps Recorder is also part of their feedback program, until I saw the article I didn't realize it was a standalone tool that was available. Every time I've been sending in hard to reproduce bugs I've used it, it really does make a difference showing them how to recreate a bug than to try and describe it only in text. :)

Screenshots are automatically compressed and the entire recording is stored in the user's temp directory. Within a zip file it will create a single mht file you open with any browser that reads very well. It's one of those common sense things where you wonder why didn't anyone think of implementing it sooner ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I couldn't agree more. Now only if they could create an OS that would never experience an issue, then we'd really be set!