Windows 7 Hits RTM Stage, Family Pack is a Go

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The moment so many of you have been waiting for is here: Windows 7 has finally hit RTM. That means that the code is done, and absolutely no changes will be made prior to final release. Any bugs found from hereon out will most likely be of a minor variety, and will have to be taken care of through Windows Update. For those keeping track, the build number for the RTM is 7600 (Vista's RTM was 6000.16386).

As mentioned in last week's post, regular consumers and tech enthusiasts are unable to get their grubby hands on the latest release, as it's being reserved for partners, OEMS, business customers and so forth. If you're wondering whether you or your workplace qualify for an early test-drive, you can refer to a recent blog posting that covers pretty much everyone.

Also, to follow-up on the potential "family pack" mentioned a few weeks ago, the same blog post linked to above answers the question, saying, "we will indeed be offering a family pack of Windows 7 Home Premium (in select markets) which will allow installation on up to 3 PCs"... so if you have more than one PC in your house that you'd like to upgrade to 7, pre-ordering right now might not be the best idea. Details will hopefully follow very soon.

In somewhat related news, the Windows Server team also celebrated an RTM for 2008 R2. If you are a system administrator, you can see all of what's new at that blog. And just as a reminder, Windows 7 will be launched on Oct 22, so you can begin your planning now if you are going to upgrade right away. If you happen to be either a hardware or software developer, you can check out the Ready. Set. 7 site to get all of the information you need to get started.

windows_7_071409.jpg

Not only is RTM an important milestone for us – it’s also an important milestone for our partners. Today’s release is the result of hard work and collaboration with our partners in the industry to make Windows 7 a success. We delivered Windows 7 with a predictable feature set on a predictable timetable that allowed OEMs to focus on value and differentiation for their customers.

Source: Windows Team Blog

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
"Bugs", such as the Windows Experience Index progarm constantly auto-running itself regardless of if you are in the middle of a fullscreen game (FPS hit 0), movie (slideshow), or have the CPU pegged at 100% (WTF, nothing responds and everything's using the Basic scheme). I found out it was supposed to only auto-run if the system is idle, and the only way to prevent it from automatically running is to use the Task Scheduler.

I've read the WinSAT.exe program gets confused by system overclocks, and will think the previous WEI score needs to be refreshed. I guess my system is slightly overclocked...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, that's an extremely interesting find. I'll have to keep that in mind for when we make the move to Windows 7 on our benchmarking rigs (hopefully won't be until early 2010).

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yeah, it's amazing how many system control panels it takes just to configure an OS for daily use these days, I am definitely adding the Task Scheduler to my growing list.

Seeing just the number of the other programs set to auto-run and send in various types of information back to Microsoft in repeating time intervals was almost scary... Microsft really does collect a great deal of information from Windows 7 RC users. ;)