Windows 7 - A Happy OS?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
For Windows users, the general consensus is that 7 gives people reason to be excited. After all, the OS went through a lengthy beta-test process, and came out fairly unscathed. That in itself is impressive, given the horrible reception Vista suffered. So while Microsoft still has reason to be concerned over their OS that will never die, the company can at least relax in the knowledge that they'll avoid another debacle like the one experienced two-and-a-half years ago.

With Windows 7 so well-received... how would you put your mood towards it in words? Excited? Happy? Fascinated? Happy? Amazed? Happy? Smitten? Happy? Enthralled? Oh, happy? Well you're certainly not alone, as Microsoft's newly-launched TV spot proves. Kylie, a little girl featured previously in an "I'm a PC" commercial, returns to let people know just how happy Windows 7 is.

Quite the instigator, Kylie checks out her dad's PC and can't help but notice all the "happy" words on the screen. It's a news aggregator, and shows many headlines from notable sources that state how great 7 is. Kylie is so excited, that she even feels compelled enough to highlight one for emphasis. Then, unbelievably, she finds a PowerPoint presentation with even more happy quotes.

I think it's obvious what this commercial's goals are, and Microsoft is extremely creative about getting the message out. If you have a PC lying around unsecured, your daughter or other family members are going to hop on, and some might even fish around more than you're comfortable with. So for love of all that's happy, make sure you hide that "folder" well!

windows_7_reviews_happy_091009.jpg

Kylie tells us she's found happy words, lots of them. Yes, they are happy, happy reviews of Windows 7--from such august names as, well, CNET. Kylie makes a slideshow so that we can clearly see just how everyone thinks Windows 7 is the not a blister like Vista. As the same tune that tells you there are very few seconds left in an NBA game--yes, Europe's "The Final Countdown"--intones with gay abandon, Kylie says: "I'm a PC and more happy is coming."

Source: CNET

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
With Windows 7 so well-received... how would you put your mood towards it in words? Excited? Happy? Fascinated? Happy? Amazed? Happy? Smitten? Happy? Enthralled? Oh, happy? Well you're certainly not alone, as Microsoft's newly-launched TV spot proves. Kylie, a little girl featured previously in an "I'm a PC" commercial, returns to let people know just how happy Windows 7 is.

Oh man, sombody's going to write a book on the psychology behind this ad campaign...

Starting with trying to convince people everyone else is happy and you should be too.... all the way to capitalizing on how relieved people are to finally have an up to date way out of Vista....

Think about it... MS has to know Vista was a real stinker... how could they not know, with all the noise about it? They almost have no choice but to play the psychology card this time around, and it looks like they did a pretty good job of it. But then Microsoft's Advertising department has always been a lot better than their Programming dept.

But all that aside, is this a better OS than previous? Time will tell.

PSI .... LOL... good ole "Snoopy"!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I have not been overwhelmed by Windows 7 so far and to me every time I tried it it looks and feels like Vista to me. I see no reason to change any of my Vista machines over.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Psi*... classic.

2Tired2Tango said:
all the way to capitalizing on how relieved people are to finally have an up to date way out of Vista....

I find that quite humorous as well. In Vista's earliest days, the company used to walk around the issues as much as possible. Since then, they've seen to calmed down a lot and are more accepting of them.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I wonder if a timeline already exists comparing MS DOS/Windows vs Linux vs Macintush. The term "up to date way" ... to some other OS ... makes me jerk.