Will Microsoft Become 'Directionless' After Bill Gates Steps Outside?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
With Microsoft's chairman set to "retire" next month, people are wondering what's going to happen within the company, and what direction, if any, they will go. There's little debate that Bill Gates has been the lead driving force for the company, and one of the reasons Microsoft has proven so successful has been due to his keen focus and intellect, so who can replace him?

As a little self-debate at C|Net shows, there's not supposed to be a "replacement", in a real sense of the word, because the fact is, Gates is irreplaceable as a person. But the worry is still there. Will Microsoft be directionless without Gates at the helm, or will they continue to conquer the market for the next ten years, as they have for the last fifteen or twenty?

Some might argue that Microsoft is directionless now, but I believe part of that is incorrect, since they obviously conquer various markets. They might not be overly successful in the online/search market, but it's their software that's their bread and butter. Vista sure didn't help matters much, but if "7" shapes up to become what Vista should have been, then people may take back the "directionless" comment.

Regardless of my or your opinions though, it's going to be a very interesting next few months at Redmond.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
bill_gates_portrait_052208.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
No one can replace Gates--that is not the point. Microsoft is in several businesses and generates more than $50 billion in revenue and a very healthy profit. The company is fighting battles on a lot of fronts, especially with Google, which could generate nearly half the revenue Microsoft does just selling search ads. That's not something Gates has been able to fix during the last few years.

Source: Outside the Lines Blog

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Windows 7 will now be many more years late and Vista will live atleast as long as XP. You heard it here first. I'd bet money on it after reading this.

moon111

Coastermaker
The problem with any large company that looses it's leader, it becomes all about profits. Which in the end, can ruin the company.

G.M. for example could produce the finest most inexpensive cars in the world, but they don't want to. Their profit is in cheaply made cars sold for as much profit as the market can tolerate.

Microsoft will push out product, but will lose it's innovation, which it might
already have.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
MS is already all about profits.

I've been forced to use Vista for the past two weeks again since a windows update nuked the MS .NET codebase using programs in my XP install... A clean install of Vista SP1 and my experience has been worse than ever with the OS. It's definitely less stable as far as games are concerned and SP1 fixed none of the issues the original Vista installs exhibited. My point is if Microsoft can develop something as messed up and part-functional as Vista, then it doesn't even matter if Gates officially left or not. They're already partially gone.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
It's ALL about the stock holders.
That's what brings a company down, any company.

And SP1 for Vista, at first slows down the OS, then it stabilizes after reorganizing the files, give it a month to return.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage: