WikiLeaks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm starting to get tired of hearing about WikiLeaks, but I'm wondering what you guys think about the entire situation? The site last week, as promised, began releasing a bunch of classified/secret documents, and while some people see this as being a freedom of speech, others see it as a major risk to US security.

What do YOU think?

I'm kind of on the fence about it all, but what I do find bizarre is that ever since these documents began being posted on the website, most of the news I hear about the site has nothing to do with the documents themselves, but rather the controversy that surrounds it, or the alleged sex crimes that Julian Assange is accused of. What's the real issue here? It's hard to figure out.

One thing I do find ironic is that a mere day or two after WikiLeaks began publishing these documents, Interpol issued a wanted notice for Assange for sex crimes, a process initiated by Sweden. If the US didn't have anything to do with this, I'd be surprised, because it's a major coincidence.

At the end of the day, I appreciate freedom of speech, even if it includes things that we might not want to hear. If there is information that actually puts the US at risk, then it could be that the US screwed up, and needs to re-think about how it conducts itself in the future.

As Google's CEO Eric Schmidt once said, why would you want privacy unless you had something to hide?

:rolleyes:

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
That's coming close to Soviet levels of conduct. Maybe we'll soon be made aware that Julian Assange never existed. ;)

I'm not sure what to think. What about the people that hae been giving Assange all this info?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'm starting to get tired of hearing about WikiLeaks, but I'm wondering what you guys think about the entire situation? The site last week, as promised, began releasing a bunch of classified/secret documents, and while some people see this as being a freedom of speech, others see it as a major risk to US security.

What do YOU think?

I'm kind of on the fence about it all, but what I do find bizarre is that ever since these documents began being posted on the website, most of the news I hear about the site has nothing to do with the documents themselves, but rather the controversy that surrounds it, or the alleged sex crimes that Julian Assange is accused of. What's the real issue here? It's hard to figure out.

One thing I do find ironic is that a mere day or two after WikiLeaks began publishing these documents, Interpol issued a wanted notice for Assange for sex crimes, a process initiated by Sweden. If the US didn't have anything to do with this, I'd be surprised, because it's a major coincidence.

At the end of the day, I appreciate freedom of speech, even if it includes things that we might not want to hear. If there is information that actually puts the US at risk, then it could be that the US screwed up, and needs to re-think about how it conducts itself in the future.

As Google's CEO Eric Schmidt once said, why would you want privacy unless you had something to hide?

:rolleyes:

There are things that need to be kept secret. There are too many lives dependent upon tight lipped security operations.

I read through a lot of the major "secrets" leaked and kind of ended with a "meh". Most of the stuff released might not have been known to be true, but was highly expected to be true.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Some bigger power than the US is behind these leaks, i mean who would mess with the United States?
More problems for the US government this has made!
It has created alot of debate here over the stuff bout Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Iran. It seems it was done to create more trouble in this region, maybe to keep it unstable to prevent the troops pullout from Afghanistan maybe. Hmm, dunno, it all be too fishy!