Wii to have free online capabilities...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
... and not the Xbox Live 'free'. The full blown online service will be free, and reminds me of the Dreamcast games where the games were also free to play online. Well, with the exception of PSO.

When asked about the online strategy for the Wii, Fils-Aimes replied "It's the same premise. We will offer online-enabled games that the consumers will not have to pay a subscription fee for. They'll be able to enjoy that right out of the box. The Wii console is going to be Wi-Fi enabled, so essentially, you'll be able to plug it in and go. It won't have hidden fees or costs."

DailyTech

Jakal

Tech Monkey
This definitely shows up the competition. Like there was any :p. I'll be saving up my $300 for one and a game or two. I dunno about this whole "wand" like control though. It'll definitely take some getting used to.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am as eager for the Wii as I was for the second Matrix.

I swear to God, if the Wii is as big of let down I will kill a mother ****er... Seriously, I can't wait for the Wii to ship and I can't wait to play with it. To hell with spending 600 on a PS3, let me get my 250 out and get a Wii and it can play nicely with my 360.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Generally I have a rule with consoles: I will never buy a console for a single game.

As of right now the only game that would make me want to buy a ps3 is the enevitable release of an Armored Core. Other than that, F0cK $600 for a system. The wii IMO looks the be the strongest of the 3 right now. Free online gaming, download your old school games (some for free some for cost). Mario, zelda, sonic, (and im sure eventually megaman) will all be on this platform. The only thing I dont like about the system is the traditional graphics beeing cartoony for some things. As an rpg player though I might in the long run appreciate that though. If the FF series would stop going graphics intense and return to the "were going to put some much $%&7 in this game for you to screw around with youll be still playing it when we are close to releasing the next one" type of mentallity I might enjoy playing games again. Oh well... Ill buy a wii. How im going to rationalize breaking my rule for another AC game, iunno.

leecho7

Partition Master
I am excited about the Wii as well. In fact I'm unbe-WII-vably excited! Get it? Ah damnit, thats getting old fast...

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
That's fantastic, and a good kick in the nuts for the competition. Go Wii! Yeah, I'm going with a Wii too, and will likely get the system at or shortly after its launch. It just has too many positive aspects that outshine the PS3, number one being cost.

Besides, good ol'Nintendo. I've always liked Nintendo and Sega, and always thought it was a shame that Sega went out the way it did. PS killed them, and I hold a grudge!! ;) The only problem is that many RPG's produced today are geared and made for the PS, and likely many will be linned up for after the PS3's release. I'm really, really hoping the Wii will do a major pull for some RPG titles. Especially Castlevania. Come on and bring the undead-whipping-vampire-slaying series back to its foundations! ^^

And I agree Madstork, we need a FF that's not concentrated on eye candy but rather storyline, plot, gameplay. I've been disapointed time and time again after FF6. Yes pretty games, yes they are alright to play, but... just not as captivating. -shrugs-

Here's hoping to Wii! ^^

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I fully intend on purchasing a DS soon and getting a emu pack for it. Then Ill be playing those GBA RPGs that I missed :)

Ive been going back and playing the old final fantasys (yeah i missed them the first time around... I was made to leave the house most of the time as a child :-/ )

My first FF love was 7 though. Call me a fan boy if you like but as it was only the second or third rpg I played, I was captivated by it. Oh please squaresoft... wont you please go back to making good games? Maybe even on the wii?

I have the DS and I have FFIV GBA game. I'm looking forward to playing FFIII for the DS when it comes out in November. FF7 was definitely my favorite. The only FF game I haven't played is X-2.
I hope you'll be able to download the classic Super Nintendo RPG's such as Lufia and Breath of Fire.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
I've played and beat Aria of Sorrow, good game too. And I hope Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana and Ogre Battle are also on that list of downloadable games for the Wii. ^^ Would make me so happyyyyy.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Chrono Trigger was good... but so damn easy. I wouldn't mind Earthbound as a downloadable game, lol.