Wii? Maybe U... But I'm Not Sold Yet

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nintendo announced its long-awaited Wii successor at E3, called "Wii U", and so far, its reception has been mixed. While some are calling it the best thing since sliced bread, others are underwhelmed, finding it to be a minor evolution over the original. Whatever your thoughts, one thing does remain clear: we need better games.

Read through Brett's editorial explaining where the Wii U needs to improve and then discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Brett drives home some very fair points, ones which most of us (in IRC anyway) agree with. Why buy the latest FPS or AAA title for the Wii or WiiU when we can get a perfectly good or even better experience on the more tradition consoles.

I think it's a cultural problem with the publishers. PC gamers are being seriously disheartened by Console ports, and developers/publishers are not playing to the strengths of the PC gaming market (customization and modding, not just graphics or KB/Mouse controls), if anything, they try and remove/prohibit the very features that made PC games popular.

With the Wii, there are precious few third party games that actually take advantage of the social elements of the console. The Wii is targeted more at families and social events, so single player frag fests aren't going to go down a treat... but publishers blindly throw development time and money at it, porting console controls and GUIs to a console that shouldn't even handle them.

But then it can be argued, when was the last real hit for an original franchise, not just the same formula in a new shell/name. The Wii introduced a new experience, the WiiU could too, but it'll never shine if it's just Nintendo doing all the work.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I think it's a cultural problem with the publishers. PC gamers are being seriously disheartened by Console ports, and developers/publishers are not playing to the strengths of the PC gaming market (customization and modding, not just graphics or KB/Mouse controls), if anything, they try and remove/prohibit the very features that made PC games popular.

Crysis 2 is perfect example of this. I just hope Duke hasn't been bitten by the same bug. I just saw Brett's post so I am about to go into it but consoles have lost a lot of their charm for me, especially when they dumb things down and limit the community. This is why I have gone back to the PC and become very cross when games like C2 come out and insult the platform that made them great in the first place.

EDIT: Also games like FONV have so much more content because of the MODS that allow it to live well past the $50 value. This is another point that makes it so hard for me to jump on the console bandwagon because they don't allow such content. They nickle and dime with map packs and micro expansions, all the while giving much less value per dollar then what we paid for the initial game.

Edit after reading the article:
There is another point that I think that Brett didn't hit on and that is that Nintendo has been pushing it's classic collection updates quite a bit on the Wii and even they were falling short. The only games I really played on it were the classics on the emulated snes and nintendo with my kids and they liked those over most of the other games, except for bowling and baseball. We tried to play the board games from Hasbro on it but it was more enjoyable to do those at the table.

It is true to your point that Nintendo was putting out some great titles but only a few and that wasn't pushing the consoles forward. It's not because the gamers didn't get it, it is because the 3rd party dev's didn't get it and the perfect example of this is the latest Metroid game. The biggest flaw was only being able to fire was in FPS mode? I question if they even played this game with a standard Wii control setup. Just to help prove the point Tharic-Nar. (c;

There is room to truly innovate with this console however I can see this being a party piece or novelty like Brett and Tharic-Nar say, but the 3rd party support will have to change for the Wii U to realize this and change Nintendo's position from back shelf to front shelf.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Meh. I'm not excited. I saw the "amazing graphics revamp" for it and it's STILL sub-par to the PS3 and 360's mid-range graphics capabilities.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Well things are getting worse on the Nintendo front. I just found out that the Wii U is only going to support 1 tablet controller. This is going to limit the options for making games like clue, strategy or etc where a player could hide specific information or pieces. This to me just made this console fail.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kayden said:
This is why I have gone back to the PC and become very cross when games like C2 come out and insult the platform that made them great in the first place.

I have to agree with this. The first night I loaded up Crysis 2, I played for about 15 minutes and was really impressed. But it seems those first 15 minutes are when you see the best of what the game has to offer, because as I played through the game for a couple of more hours, the consolitis became super-apparent. The graphics are still good, but ot at all great.

The most console-like problem in Crysis 2 is the reflections on the buildings... what's being reflected never matches up with what's actually behind you. This was noticeable to me because buildings like these are all over the place, so they're impossible to ignore. Small problem, yes, but after seeing how Crysis pushed the boundaries of graphics on the PC, Crysis 2 being little more than a console port was as Jamie worded, disheartening.

Kayden said:
Also games like FONV have so much more content because of the MODS that allow it to live well past the $50 value. This is another point that makes it so hard for me to jump on the console bandwagon because they don't allow such content.

I admit I don't recall the last time I played through a mod (I tend to jump from game to game rather frequently), but they are one of those things that make PC gaming so damn great. I couldn't even count the number of mods I dealt with for Duke Nukem 3D, for example, and it resulted in hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Past mods, take Borderlands for example... an epic game if there ever was one. I am not sure if it was built for the consoles first and then the PC or not, but it sure doesn't feel like it. It -feels- like a PC game, and I couldn't imagine playing it on a console. Plus, there has been so much content released for it that even if you ended up paying full-price ($90), you still likely found it worth your money. After all, a game like Mafia II is 10 hours... Borderlands? I am nearly at 130 and I know others who have played it for double that and more.

The Wii needs games like THAT, that play to its strengths and make people want to play over and over. I agree with Brett wholeheartedly in the article, though I admit I have never been much of a Wii fan. I purchased the console within a week of its release, gamed it up with Zelda and Mario, and after that I didn't touch it again. I quite literally haven't touched it in about three years.

I ended up going so long without playing it that I lent the console to a family member. What game? Wii Fit ;-) Hey, at least it's a "game" that's designed FOR the Wii, not ported over to it!

The problem with me and the Wii was threefold though. First, few games interested me. Two, the focus on motion got to me... I didn't -want- it, and in most games there was no option to -not- use it, even in parts where you know that it isn't needed. Three, the resolution. I am 100% fine with the graphics, because I am a true believer that graphics don't make a game, but being forced to use 480p on a 1080p-capable display is a little ridiculous. I seem to be one of the few whiners there, though.

Like Brett and others have said, the Wii / Wii U -needs- better games. What should they be? I don't know... it's not my job to figure that out. Just please stop shipping games better-suited for -other- consoles and put them on the Wii. It kind of reminds me of back when we transitioned from the PSone to PS2. There were -some- games that were available on both, and on the original, it really felt like it shouldn't have been tried, because the overall effect is muchless (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, as one example).

Meh. I'm not excited. I saw the "amazing graphics revamp" for it and it's STILL sub-par to the PS3 and 360's mid-range graphics capabilities.

I don't think many people expected more to be honest. The Wii just isn't a typical game console. Back in the day, the goal WAS to outshine the other console in the technical capabilities department, but for the Wii, the focus is on games (ironically given this subject) and the social aspect. -Most- people do not care about having the best graphics possible. We just happen to because we're PC enthusiasts.

As a side note, I downloaded inFAMOUS the other night on the PS3, which was released in 2009. The graphics limitations really began to show from the very first level... and here we are getting a Wii U in 2012 with graphics less than -that-. Also, it's a little interesting to note that Microsoft announced Halo 4 to be released late next year. At that point, the Xbox 360 will have been seven-years-old. I think the last time we saw a console endure so long was with the SNES!

Well things are getting worse on the Nintendo front. I just found out that the Wii U is only going to support 1 tablet controller. This is going to limit the options for making games like clue, strategy or etc where a player could hide specific information or pieces. This to me just made this console fail.

That's again of little surprise given the technical capabilities of the GPU being used, and perhaps also the wireless performance. It's unfortunate though... I could see it being a ton of fun for two of those controllers to be used outside of the console for some 2P action.

Allomancer

Obliviot
I don't know why you guys are saying that the Wii U will be less powerful than the 360 and PS3. We know that it will be powerful enough to output in 1080p, which most current 360/PS3 games don't do, and the current rumors are that the graphics will be powered by a chip very similar to the R770 in the Radeon HD 4800 series. Of course that's not even close to top of the line in PC hardware terms, but it's a lot more powerful than the GPUs in the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The Wii U will be more than capable of handling 360/PS3 ports, but as for how long that will be relevant, we'll just have to wait and see. The next gen systems from Sony and Microsoft will certainly be more powerful than the Wii U, but if they wait too long to release them Wii U could have enough of an installed base already for it not to matter.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm not sure the issue is "power" as much as graphics quality. It's a simple matter to upscale Nintendo Wii titles to 1080p, but just as with upscaling a DVD movie, doing so isn't going to increase the quality nor add new detail. From a purely graphics perspective, outputting most Nintendo Wii games at 1080p won't look as good as say, Crysis 2 would at 1080p on the 360 or PS3. Brett says as much himself in his article.

Given the design of most Wii games I don't think "power" is the right question. I'd wonder instead about how or even when Nintendo will start focusing on graphics again. I think it's quite possible they might choose to keep the current graphics "theme" going for quite some time.