Wii and Xbox 360 are too expensive...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
... says Sony.

Ephraim concedes that the XBOX 360 has done well in Australia, but that the unit is still a bit on the expensive side. His main problem with the console, which many may agree with, is that the content just isn't there yet. He also goes on to say, "It's still pricey, and I'm sure Microsoft will do everything they can, but if you just look at the offerings from each format and the marketplace that we are now playing in, especially PlayStation 2, it has to be affordable because we are talking about mass-market and non traditional gamers."

I have to wonder if Sony execs ever actually contemplate what they are saying.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
One... campared to the US the Australian gaming market is quite different as I understand it. Think about all of the games we dont get ported, they get some of those. And yet again they do not get other games we do. The simple numbers are different. So a US comment about a market that he doesnt undertand in cretique of a man in that market is, at best, retarded. I dont like that article.

I was throwing around some number as well a second ago. Ill be copying and pasting the convo from the mIRC chat. If you guys didnt know, the folks here at techgage have one of those, join us! Or miss out on all the cool retarted things we say in there.

"[14:25] Stork> check on tht price per year
[14:27] Deathspawner> I am hardcore wasting money here lol
[14:27] Deathspawner> I was doing it per month
[14:27] Deathspawner> It's 59.99
[14:28] Stork> $494 ps3 < $399 xbox + 2 years worth of xbox live online play at $59.99...
[14:28] Stork> the Wii is looking better and better... and better...
[14:29] Deathspawner> To me, the Wii and 360 are completely different.
[14:29] Deathspawner> I love the 360... could not imagine not owning it.
[14:29] Deathspawner> But I enjoy the games.
[14:29] Deathspawner> I can't wait for the Wii either
[14:29] Deathspawner> It will kick ****ing ass
[14:29] Stork> the ps3 is still cheaper than a 360 after you figure in 2 years worth of online play
[14:30] Deathspawner> I don't know what the online is like with PS3, so I can't comment.
[14:30] Deathspawner> I know it won't touch what XBL offers.
[14:30] Deathspawner> I may be proven wrong
[14:30] Stork> factor in the fact that it will be abother 5-6 years before we see another nex gen most liekely...
[14:30] Stork> *likely
[14:31] Deathspawner> Doesn't matter to me, I will buy all three.
[14:31] Deathspawner> AFk for a few gotta take photos
[14:31] Stork> really you may be looking at paying 59.99x6 as compared to just 494
[14:31] Stork> k
[14:31] Stork> I think the wii is looking better."

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, well said Sony. I am personally stoked to get one, when they ship and assuming that I can actually get one.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I went to go partake in pre-orders this morning, but they were all sold out before the store even opened. I find that a little odd, because they had 5 PS3's and 10 Wii's available for pre-order... I really can't see there being 10 - 15 people waiting outside, but whatever.

Looks like I will just get up early on launch day and hope they have some in. Still have no idea why there are such problems to fulfull orders.. it seems rather ridiculous.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Pre order....nerd. Everyone who is cool stands in front of your local Best Buy and waits for everybit of 9 - 10 hours for a damned console.

Why cant these companies just release shit in June damn it. At least then you can wait in line over night and drink without the worries of falling asleep and either not waking up or waking up to someone with a flashlight asking why you dont have any pants on....WTF!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What I don't understand, is why don't they take pre-orders even if the stores ADMIT to the fact that they may not be able to fulfill it right away. I'd much rather a first come first serve basis.

That's how I got the 360... I pre-ordered as soon as they became available. It's just getting worse... it's farking retarded.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes but still... at least here they could TELL people that they may -not- get the system on launch despite a pre-order.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Pretty damned scetchy if you ask me.

If they are going to take pre orders, they should charge as much for consoles they know they wont have at launch. I know they will run out but after a certain amount, they know who will and will not get their shit on launch day and their prices should reflect that.

whores.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
If only theywould release the damned things further away from christmass... there I said it.

Americans as a culture are competitive by nature, we want the best new stuff now. And if possible we want to do it in a cheesy sentimental way. (christmass present for lil johnny much?) So pairing these naturally two volitile situations has never been too good before. (think about tickle me elmo when it launched... there were housewives literally mugging eachother around christmass.)

Men in america = higher natural levels of aggression which is fed by our culture.

Natural State of people in america + shiney new cool toy = Pathological need, not healthily placed in the hierarchy of needs.

(Pathological need + scarcity of available satiation) x Men in America = never a good result. Possibly high levels of volitility.

Thumbs up Sony and Nintendo on screweing the pooch. But hey, you'll make some $ of it I guess.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
But isnt profit the sole reason companies are in business? I agree with what you are saying to an certain degree but not entirely. Maybe I just have refused to get that deep into anything.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
It is true the purpose of a buisness is to make money (in a few buisness/econ classes right now)

But you know what the first prerequisite for those classes is at my university?

Buisness ETHICS and application.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thats a formality. The only people that truely care about business ethics are lawers, HR people and the people that are teaching you. Ethics will rarely get in the way of profit.

leecho7

Partition Master
Sometimes companies will release a console without making profits. In some cases, loosing profits. I think this will be the case wit Sony's PS3. They will be loosing money for each system they sell. Although this might seem like a bad business practice, it is the software that will justify the sacrifice made by such companies. Am I right? Probably not, I'm almost never right. However, I am asian... that counts for something right?