Why isn't my signature showing up?

izzie

Obliviot
My signature seems to have a mind of its own. It showed up in a couple messages, and didn't show up in a couple other messages. Didn't change or edit my signature, so shouldn't it show up in every message?

Last edited:

tugovony

Obliviot
izzie said:
My signature seems to have a mind of its own. It showed up in a couple messages, and didn't show up in a couple other messages. Didn't change or edit my signature, so shouldn't it show up in every message?

Perhaps it takes time for the signature to update. Give it an hour or two, and then see if it works right.

tugovony

Obliviot
Looks like BigBucksT experienced the same problem.

I'm 90% sure that it takes a little while for signatures to start working. I use to run a forum for a clan in guildwars. My clan members would complain about the same problem, that signatures did not show up immediately. It seems to be a common problem on certain forum software.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would like to agree... but no. Unless you have an unbelievably slow server, it just shouldn't take any time. Editing your signature does the same executions as making a post. You don't have to wait for your post to show up :p

I just tested it on my sig and it was instant. It could have something to do with the server it's grabbing the info from, not this one.

tugovony

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
I would like to agree... but no. Unless you have an unbelievably slow server, it just shouldn't take any time. Editing your signature does the same executions as making a post. You don't have to wait for your post to show up :p

I just tested it on my sig and it was instant. It could have something to do with the server it's grabbing the info from, not this one.

You need to test it when adding a new signature. The bug only happens when adding a new signature and may only happen with new member accounts on the forum.

It probably has something to do with the server cache, and the difference between adding a new item vs. editing an existing one.

Follow these steps if your going to test for the bug:

Step 1) New user creates an account on the forum.

Step 2) New user adds a signature.

Step 3) New user immediately posts a new message after adding a signature

Step 4) The signature should not show up in the new message <- bug

That is how the bug works. It is the server cache and the caching of data that causes the bug. Between step 3 and step 4, the server sends cached-data and that cached data doesn't have the signature added yet. If you edit a pre-existing signature, the bug does not occur because the cache behaves differently when editing existing data. Only when adding a brand new signature does the bug occur.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, either it just doesn't work for me, I don't know. Wick is me, and my sig worked immediately after signing up, with no delay whatsoever. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to catch this 'bug'.

tugovony

Obliviot
Create a poll and see how many of your users experienced the problem. Two people in this thread alone, reported having the problem. Either they are BOTH liars, or they BOTH experienced the problem. Do not need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that the problem does exist. I noticed it myself a few times on forums running on other websites, did not test it on this site yet.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
tugovony said:
Do not need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out that the problem does exist.
I didn't say for a second that it didn't exist. You said it may only happen when adding a completely new signature, so I signed up a new account and tested it out. The test failed. It may exist, I just can't catch it, nor have had it happen to myself.

tugovony

Obliviot
But you only tested it once. May need to test it a dozen times. If you still can't get the bug to occur to you after a dozen trys or more, then that is where you need to start breaking things down as to what the difference is between your setup and the setup that the people who experienced the bug are using.

But before you state with finality that you can't get the bug to occur to you, I would try it like a dozen times. It may all be a matter of timing. The bug may only occur between subsequent server-cache flushes and refills. In other words, you may need to do it at the exact right timing for it to occur. In between those server-cache flushes and refills.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
tugovony said:
In other words, you may need to do it at the exact right timing for it to occur. In between those server-cache flushes and refills.
Timing is everything apparently, but I am not about to test it 10 times ;)

I believe it has to do with the caching also. Just like viewing an image, if someone changes the image, the user won't know until a couple more refreshs or a hard refresh. So it's probably not really a forum issue as far as I can tell.

Either way, it's not a huge problem but I would like to be able to fix it.