Why Is There So Much Hate On The Internet?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Although it's never been a problem in our own community (thankfully), something that I've been putting a fair amount of thought into lately is the vitriol that exists in many comment sections and forums around the Web. When you go to the supermarket, most people wouldn't feel like they are surrounded by pure hatred. In a comments section? Lately, it's almost inevitable.

cats_i_hate_you_natalie_dee_072511.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Deindividuation is certainly one of the consequences of internet anonymity. I've actually been writing for several months an article about this problem that I mean to put on my blog. I don't know if I will ever finish it.

I call the whole problem the Philodox Effect. I identify it as being the collection of a series of conditions that are often met in the internet medium that lead to excessive aggressive behavior sourced by an exaggerated opinion of one's opinions and ideas. The most notable being:

• The lack of accountability generated by internet anonymity.
  • The human natural tendency for affirmation as well as a desire for validation.
  • The written word as a difficult medium to master.
  • The overly simplified nature of reply boxes and voting mechanisms.

Of the three major ones above, I think of the latter as the most instrumental of them all. The "Like/Dislike" mechanism present on so many places, invites any discussion to concentrate on two opposite poles, often leading individuals to extreme their positions so they can fit in any of these diametrically opposite sides.

Additionally, in speech it is often demonstrated a lack of ability to separate between having an opinion and wanting that opinion to be accepted by others. The latter is given priority because of our usually innate desire for validation, often reducing any debate not to the discussion of the idea or opinion itself, but to clearly formulated opinions on the opinion or idea. The Like/Dislike behavioral pattern induced by many sites almost completely removes any possibility an opinion, idea of fact may be discussed for what it is. It's a clear invitation to discuss how we feel about said opinion, idea or fact.

Similarly reply boxes often invite to the radicalization of speech. Most subject matters are complex subject matters, having many shades of gray in between. However to express these it takes time, frequent pauses, effort and a considerable amount of text (it's been now more or less an hour since I started writing this post). Reply box are oftentimes small and even limited in the number of characters one can write. This gives little room to express opinions or ideas that require more elaborate thought. In addition the general usage patterns on the internet reflect a desire for short and immediate behavior (there's too many messages to reply, browsers need to be fast, bla bla bla, too much text is usually frowned upon, etc.). Reply boxes in blogs or comment boxes in news sites are an invitation to sketchy speech or to speech that requires amplifying one's stance so it becomes more evident. Hyperbole is an effective means of conveying meaning with less effort and by no means is it always used consciously.

Increase the size of the reply box, try to remove social engineering mechanisms like the "Like/Dislike", and refurbish the UI to give it a look and feel of an area of debate and you effectively reduced or eliminated the Philodox Effect. It's not by chance that forums, for instance, aren't so inviting to the behavior you see so often on comments boxes elsewhere. Naturally there's some tending that needs to be done, but generally speaking the medium by which ideas are expressed has a strong influence in how those ideas will be expressed.

The internet has unfortunately moved into this like-dislike false dichotomy. In addition, news sites offer comment boxes, not because they are places of debate and opinion expressing, but because they are one more mechanism to induce repeat visiting and, consequently, ad money. Some of these comment areas aren't even monitored.

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
I agree 100%! I've noticed that there seems to be a trend that people are just getting to be a lot meaner, and a lot more hateful lately.

If a person doesn't like the iPhone for example, well that's just fine and dandy, but why can't people simply disagree without being disagreeable?

I remember a week or so, some one who was bragging about how much superior Android was went on to post: "I hope Steve's cancer cells will work a lot faster; the sooner the &*(^(%^%%^$$%$% is dead, the better!"

It seems that if your a fan of something, whether it be of a singer like Amy Winehouse, or a of something else, be it Linux, OS X, the iPhone, or Android, Windows or what ever, you can't say something nice about what your a fan of without being labeled a "troll", or retard, a fan boy, or worse!

And God help the poor soul who happens to make a wee-bitty mistake in their comments, without a host of people jumping on them by calling them retarded or what have you, all of which I say is a shame, a bloody shame I tell you!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Yeah, it's disgusting how mean people are, especially on the internet. The other day I was playing team fortress 2. Well, I got killed and then someone screams over the microphone: "Oh, you f***** retard, why didn't you kill them?":(

We need "re-humanification". What do I mean? Take the guy that killed dozens of people in Norway. Maybe he was insane. I don't know. But he wasn't thinking of his victims as people that have lives, have family, people that love them, hopes, and dreams. He was likely thinking of them as numbers. There's something in our society that drains compassion and empathy right out of people. And it's exhibited best on the Internet.

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
The whole anonymity is what makes people think they have a bullet proof armor and until we can take away that, they will never change their ways. Granted there are a few demented people who do think that way in real life but it isn't as bad as that in the real world.

I for one try to act like I do in real life online, but it's hard to act on those moral fibers when you see others just do what they do and you know you can not stop there insincerity.

@OJC
I agree bud. The whole number thing is how we have begun to disassociate ourselves with others but sadly that mentality is growing beyond the business or government frame of minds.

D

deadrats

rob,

i'll explain it to you in a very easy to understand way: it's the result of the politically correct society we are forced to live in, where strict laws curtail of freedom of speech and our freedom of expression and we are constantly forced to either watch what we say, lest we be denounced as a racist, bigot or have some other negative label applied to us or we risk being arrested for disturbing the peace.

the internet allows us to point out when people are saying something we feel is stupid or idiotic without having to feel like we must hold back and i personally thing it's a good thing.

it's been said that when a person is drunk he/she is at their most honest, i'm not sure that is 100% accurate but it certainly does let our guard down and we may be more inclined to respond in a way that doesn't have all the safeguards in place; you can think of an internet post as the same thing.

of course there is another possible explanation: this is who we are in real life. when you consider how many wars humanity has fought, how many people have been exterminated and enslaved, how many crimes and arguments take place on a daily basis, should it really surprise you that those same tendencies would come through in a post on an online forum.

i would say that anyone offended by something someone they don't know from a hole in the wall says in a comments section seriously needs to get a life and stop acting like a high school girl.

and for the record; this is the exact same thing i would say, and often do say, to people in real life.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
One of the many reasons I am here at Techgage and don't go to any other tech site forums!
I went to some other sites but got a lot of hate cause i'm form pakistan! 'stoopid Paki!' 'damn Paki!' etc..

i feel comfortable here! :D Yous guys are Cool! :D

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Warning: Very unpopular opinion forthcoming...

Why is there so much hatred on the internet? That's simple... because we know we can speak our minds, directly from our most base and vile emotions without ending up with a busted nose.

It doesn't take much "world savvy" to realize that anytime a human being is placed into a position beyond reprisal --be it one of authority, distance or anonymity-- you are going to discover what lies just below the surface. We are not creatures of grand motive or kind disposition, in fact most of us are flat out assholes (notice I include myself in this statement!) who manage to be nice only out of the basic concern that WE will be harmed if we dare speak too boldly. The genuinely "humane human" is a rare creature indeed and most of the time their humane behaviour is far from universal... C'mon admit it, we all harbour some minor hatred of something, even if it's only Bics Pickles.

The second ingredient for an all out nut-bar comes from the general lack of disipline in which we currently raise our children. One of my friends is a long term teacher who started his career back when kids still got the strap for acting up. He has frequently lamented --in great detail-- the growing disobedience and insulance of the kids in his classes. One of his favorite quotes is "If that had happened back in my day, that kid would be sitting on a red hot ass!" and the truth is that absent disipline our kids do grow up with absolutely no sense of the harm they do to others... we learn empathy from suffering reprisal.

Mix this base human nature and burgeoning arrogance with actual lessons in aggressive behavior gleened from sources such as Video Games and Contact Sports and anyone who is even slightly prone to anger or hatred now has training in the best way to play it out. Just look how many kids these days know only two problem solving skills... violence and anger.

In my real-life identity I found myself the victim of a 15 year campaign of hatred by an internet stalker (twice credited as the first documented case of "Cyberstalking") with whom I've never once exhanged a single word, off line. This person simply decided to spend her life wrecking my life... because she could. In the end it came down to hatred just begging for an outlet. When pressed by many, she was entirely unable to state any clear reason for her behavior; I quite simply happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also in real life I have frequently noted the trend towards overt blathering of stupid and hurtful commentary by people who should, quite frankly, know better... Even in face to face conversation I am increasingly hearing retorts like "Don't be such an idiot" between people who think they are friends...

So yes, Rob, it is getting worse all the time.

And, if you want to peel the onion and take a good sniff... The fault is ours. With the rare exception of verifiable mental illness... it comes down to a permissive society and lessons in violence gleened from technology.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
That was a great post, Tango. I wouldn't say my online and offline personalities are exactly alike, but I don't turn into Mr. Hyde the second I jump online. I try to act with some decency.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
That was a great post, Tango. I wouldn't say my online and offline personalities are exactly alike, but I don't turn into Mr. Hyde the second I jump online. I try to act with some decency.

This is one area where I'm probably not like most people...

A) If I wouldn't say it to your face I won't say it online.
B) If I say it online, you know I'll say it to your face.

LOL... I do try to be consistent...

(Like your .sig by the way)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Great post, Tango! I don't think there is a single thought there I disagree with. Not to go off-topic, but the subject of stalking is one I think of once in a while, because I happen to know multiple people who have been the subject of it (and I'm not sure if it's relevant, but all of the stalkers have been female). I sometimes picture what it must be like to be in that position of being stalked, but then I realized... I might well go insane from it. It can't be fun... at all.

I agree on OJC's post... perfect complement to this thread. Will repost it here to make sure it never gets lost in the future and the context is lost :D

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."

Edit: Somehow I managed to skip over the mass of other posts in this thread (for some reason clicking the thread brought me near the bottom! Will respond to other comments soon).

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Not to go off-topic, but the subject of stalking is one I think of once in a while, because I happen to know multiple people who have been the subject of it (and I'm not sure if it's relevant, but all of the stalkers have been female). I sometimes picture what it must be like to be in that position of being stalked, but then I realized... I might well go insane from it. It can't be fun... at all.

Imagine having your life history re-written into something so horrifying you won't even let your trusted friends see it... then standing helplessly as your life dissolves around you as more and more people start believing the lies. Even now, years after it ended, I *still* occasionally meet new people who are already angry with me.

You're right... it's not fun.

Anyway, I only put that part in to indicate that I do know what it's like to be on the wrong end of full blown hatred. Back to the main topic...

And don't even get me started on song lyrics or rap music...

Last edited: