Why Do Apple Customers Care So Much?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
To start a torrent of hate, all that's needed is one part news posting and one part Apple. "Apple Zealots" are a unique breed. They don't just use a Mac, they live the Apple lifestyle. They are very passionate about the company and products they support, but as News.com blogger Tom Krazit points out, a few people can go overboard.

Though I don't own an Apple product, I can step into others shoes and see the roots of the obsession. For one thing, it's not Windows. Another, when you buy a Mac, you are joining a massive community of fellow Apple fans who share the same passion. Sure, not all of what Apple does proves to be a winner (Apple TV) and not everything they release is problem free (latest iPod launch), but no company is going to be immune from all of that.

The interesting thing is that you don't see this kind of passion with Microsoft or Linux. I've been a full-time Linux user for close to two years now, and even I don't have any sort of "passion" for the OS. I don't recall having a passion for a Microsoft product either. Ever. It's the Apple-fans passion that continually pokes me to go make a purchase. Maybe next year...

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
apple_computer_large_news_logo.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"Like anything people are passionate about--sports, politics, religion--there are going to be some people who are goofy about it and don't have that thing in their brain that tells them they've stepped over the edge from 'fan' to 'fanatic'," said John Moltz, the editor of Crazy Apple Rumors Site and perhaps the best source of comic relief in the Apple universe.

Source: One More Thing Blog

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I loved it when Apple dropped the price of the iBrick, erm, iPhone. Almost as funny as the 2 year contract that they got themselves in :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have had such a love/hate relationship with Apple for years... it's truly insane. One day I will like what I see, and the next, they will do something that rubs me the wrong way. I am not sure if I will ever be a "fan" of Apple, but I am sure I will pick up one of their products at some point. I used their iPhone a few months ago and was actually rather impressed. I still wish it had an SD slot for additional storage though... that would help sell me the product. Well, you know, if it was available in Canada.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I have a cousin that could be described as a fanatic. He quit some company in Milwaukee because they would not switch to Apple...

I don't hate Apple. I just hate a)ads on TV got old,fast b)fanatics claiming the superiority of the PowerPC and then Intel suddenly is wonderful because it's in a Mac c)how Apple is basically a Unix derivative with a nice GUI.

In other words, the culture drives me nuts. Kinda like people claiming to be by "being Republican" and not knowing what they stand for or even what being socially conservative is...