Why can't i play HD and Blu-ray disks?PLEASE HELP!

Gop

Obliviot
Hello.
I have Just purchased an LG blu ray and HD-DVD player with powerdvd 7.3. The software installed ok, but i cant play a HD-DVD (havent tried blu-ray as i have none!) My LG is recognised in device manager as is working ok (it will play standard dvd's, however when i try to play a HD-DVD i get this message: Fail to enable HDCP. Please switch to analog output (VGA, D-Sub) and try again. (Error Code = 0107)" I use a samsung 42inch plasma tv connected to my computer via a HDMI cable. I tried to update the software from cyberlink, after which all i got were computer crashes.After i uninstalled , and tried the trial version of powerdvd 9, still no joy. Can anyone tell me what to do here? Do i need a new graphics card? Ive contacted cyberlink, and its been a month with no reply.

MY specs:

Computer System
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. (used to be a DELL dimension E521, components put into gigabyte software)
Model: M52L-S3P
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)
Version: 5.1.2600
Build Number: 2600
Install Date: 16/11/2008
Install Directory: C:\WINDOWS
Locale: English (en) - United States (US)
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model: M52L-S3P (vx.x)
Bios
Manufacturer: Award Software International, Inc.
Model: F1
Release Date: 31/12/2008
Processors
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (AuthenticAMD)
Max clock speed: 2.61 GHz
Socket: Socket M2
Version: Model 11, Stepping 2
Memory
Total Current Physical Memory: 3.00 GB
Total Current Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2.00 GB
Memory Devices:
Type: DDR-2* - Speed: 667 MHz - Capacity: 1.00 GB
Video Devices
256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO
Resolution: 1360 x 768
Colour Depth: 32 Bits
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO Secondary
Resolution: x
Colour Depth: Bits
Refresh Rate: Hz
Sound Devices:
Realtek High Definition Audio
M779 PCIe PAL/SECAM/DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner (Video Capture)

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hello.
I have Just purchased an LG blu ray and HD-DVD player with powerdvd 7.3.

This sounds like it's a codec issue.

Does the video card correctly display your desktop and games?
Does the drive pass a disk read test?

If so... Get a copy of MPClassic Home Cinema which has all codecs built into the executable and see if it will play your DVDs. I've been using it since it came out and it's always played whatever I've thrown at it. There is some setup to do but once you suss it out it's a very good player.

FWIW... I would *never* install the software from LG... For some reason it's just never worked right for me and in one case it did things to my system that nearly ended with me force feeding the drive into the wrong end of the guy who talked me into it. (See this thread for details...)

Last edited:

Gop

Obliviot
Hi, thanks for replying. I tried the player you suggested. It opens the disk folder of the HD DVD, so i have to find the film manually and load it. When i do, im told: media player could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filter installed on the system.Media type 0. I click the link to find codecs on the net but nothing happens!
The video card displays the desktop on my plasma tv ok.

Any other suggestions? Ive just set the render controls to optimal, still no luck!

Many thanks
G

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hi, thanks for replying. I tried the player you suggested. It opens the disk folder of the HD DVD, so i have to find the film manually and load it. When i do, im told: media player could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filter installed on the system.Media type 0. I click the link to find codecs on the net but nothing happens!
The video card displays the desktop on my plasma tv ok.

Any other suggestions? Ive just set the render controls to optimal, still no luck!

Many thanks
G

MPClassic doesn't work "out of the box"... You have to do some setup.
You will most likely have to uninstall the stuff from the LG disk before it's going to work.

The "find codecs on the net" thing was never fully implemented (thankfully) so forget that.

First thing when it loads, with no files... type the letter O (for options) go to the Internal Filters and make sure everything is checked. Then skip over to the Output section and set everything on "System Default" (i.e. auto select). Then finally under Formats locate and click the "ALL" button... Then close the program. Do not run any other player as they will likely try to steal back the file associations. Now, if you have autoplay turned on in XP you should be able to insert a disk and it should come up in MPClassic automatically.

Try it with a music CD and a standard DVD first... make sure it's working. Then try your HD disks once you're sure.

Which render controls are you referring to?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
One more thought on this....

Did you set the DVD region in your device manager?

Open device manager, locate the DVD drive, right click it and set the region for wherever you are.

But take note... you only get to change this a limited number of times (6, if memory serves) so pick your home region and stay with it.

Gop

Obliviot
Hi, firstly, many thanks for responding.
I uninstalled powerdvd, tried to uninstall LG firmware, but was given an error (system crashed so i cant get it back!) when i rebooted, i went to the properties of the LG drive to allow autoplay. I was presented with sonic update manager, it couldnt find a source and was asking me to insert a disk? The system crashed after i uninstalled powerdvd and opened the main hd file with media player classic?
I set my region 2 uk, as is the disk (which is 300 by the way, an .evo file). I did as you suggested with the file extensions on mpc.

G

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Hi, firstly, many thanks for responding.
I uninstalled powerdvd, tried to uninstall LG firmware, but was given an error (system crashed so i cant get it back!) when i rebooted, i went to the properties of the LG drive to allow autoplay. I was presented with sonic update manager, it couldnt find a source and was asking me to insert a disk? The system crashed after i uninstalled powerdvd and opened the main hd file with media player classic?
I set my region 2 uk, as is the disk (which is 300 by the way, an .evo file). I did as you suggested with the file extensions on mpc.

G

"LG Firmware"? Does your system show a folder with 4 files in it, even when there's no disk in the drive? If so take it back, bitch like hell at the salesmakers, get a replacement of a different brand... Really... There are LG installer disks out there with viruses on them...

Check this thread for more details....

I'm hoping someone else will have some software suggestions as I'm fresh out.

If you did all the steps I detailed in MPClassic settings it should be working.... That is, it works on my system (but with a different video setup... NVidia and HD monitor, no television set).

I did a little research on HDCP... apparently this is something to do with Digital Rigths and the encoding of certain DVDs. That's why I suggested setting the DVD region. I don't fully understand HDCP yet, never ran into it before... so I'm hoping someone has more detail to share.

Last edited:

Gop

Obliviot
yes i uninstalled the LG firmware, but now my drive wont recognise a disk, so i'll have to reinstall it. There are not 4 files when i open the drive with no disk in it. Guess i'll have to wait until cyberlink get back 2 me!

Do you think i may need a upgrade on my video card?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
yes i uninstalled the LG firmware, but now my drive wont recognise a disk, so i'll have to reinstall it. There are not 4 files when i open the drive with no disk in it. Guess i'll have to wait until cyberlink get back 2 me!

Do you think i may need a upgrade on my video card?

If what I've read about HDCP is correct, it could actually be your television set....

Have you tried it on a computer monitor... I know it won't give you 1080p output but it would be interesting to see if it works at all.

For the drive not recognizing disks... go into hardware manager and Uninstall the drive then reboot... you'll probably get it back.

Frankly, I'd suggest you call the LG support line and get real adamant about it... Waiting a month is ridiculous.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm sorry I haven't seen this thread sooner, Gop. The bad news is several versions of PowerDVD 7 don't support HD-DVD. The really bad news is PowerDVD 8 removed all support for HD-DVD. On top of that, serveral hacks to re-enable HD-DVD support in PowerDVD 8 were disabled in updates to the program, so I am pretty sure PowerDVD 9 does not support it at all as well. Cyberlink has a bad history of spotty HD support and they've made sure it was well deserved, even after they fixed their issues with Blu-Ray support/offloading. That said, I believe this problem arises because software devs would (still) have to pay royalties to support HD-DVD playback.

I don't presently see any programs that offer HD-DVD support, it appears (I'm not sure) to be removed from WinDVD's software as well because they no longer make any mention of it that I could find. If you can find one, please let us know! I checked VLC but they don't support playback from the actual discs, either.

That said, there are two work arounds. :)

1) You can test out Slysoft's AnyDVD software, which claims: "Playback of discs on the PC with PowerDVD Ultra which otherwise do not run." They offer a free trial at http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

or

2) If you don't want to spend money, you can rip your HD-DVD media to your computer, and most video players will then play it. If WMP doesn't natively support the formats you rip to, then VLC will. Slysoft also makes a HD-DVD ripper program, but there are others out there. If you prefer to use some other video player, the K-Lite Codec pack will help with that.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
If you don't want to spend money, you can rip your HD-DVD media to your computer, and most video players will then play it. If WMP doesn't natively support the formats you rip to, then VLC will. Slysoft also makes a HD-DVD ripper program, but there are others out there. If you prefer to use some other video player, the K-Lite Codec pack will help with that.

Thanks for jumping in Kougar....

If our friend is going to rip the DVDs VLC will play them. But you should know that MPClassic Home Cinema version no longer requires the K-Lite pack to do the same thing. It's a single EXE file that does it all (hense my earlier recommendation). However, in this case, I'd think he should look into download sites... pre-ripped and always playable.

I'd be interested in any information you can share on the HDCP issue that appears to point to some television sets not displaying HD content...

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I've heard of some TV's having issues with HDCP authentication, but I'm not knowledgeable on the subject. Unfortunately everything I've heard suggests its far easier to use the less than legal route than to play the actual media people buy... that's the content industry for you. The only alternative is to use something like Slysoft's programs, which strip all HDCP codes from the HD media you've bought allowing it to play normally on anything.

I wouldn't endorse downloading it, it'd be faster to just download some free software and rip the disc since he bought it. Not to mention he can rip it with lossless quality... at 1920x1200 the loss in any quality is easy to see!

Regarding MPC, it is a good program. After checking it out I can say that's the exact same player included in the K-Lite Codec pack... I've been using it over VLC because of some image quality (loss of aliasing, sharpness) issues with Windows 7 and NVIDIA hardware that they still haven't fixed. It can be worked around by setting the output to OpenGL though, interestingly. I've run into a couple vids that don't play in MPC, yet play fine in VLC too.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Regarding MPC, it is a good program. After checking it out I can say that's the exact same player included in the K-Lite Codec pack...

Ahh there are two versions... 6.4.1 (I think) that is Media Player Classic and it does require the KLite pack. But there's also 1.2.908 and 1.3.something of "MPClassic Home Cinema" that does not. The Home Cinema version aside from looking the same, is a totally different piece of software. (And yes I do know how confusing that is... ya just gottal love open source...)

The version you want is... Here.

Gop

Obliviot
Guys, many thanks for your informative replies. I'll need time to go through them all! Im still thinking my video card may the issue? It can support hdtv, but no mention of hdcp. The plasma is hd ready.

I'll try out your suggestions tonight.

G

Gop

Obliviot
Hi, Ive tried a few new things!

I tried playing the hd-dvd via a vga cable (had to install powerdvd to see what error it would throw!), it said i needed critical software update to ensure proper playback of hd and bluray dvds. Firstly, u need to do this with firefox. I also tried to update my ati catalyst control center to v9.9 *as suggested on the LG drive box. Couldnt install it as i didnt have the necessary drivers. Next i upgraded powerdvd ultra with the patch they recommended.

Result: 4 system crashes, with blue screen: clbudf.sys??
Eventually i had to disconnect the LG drive just to stop the crash?

Looks like im screwed!

G

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

Wow... can't say I envy you this mess.

clbudf.sys is a system driver file used to read DVD data in UDF format. The information on UDF formats is here. Basically it's a standard file system used on optical disks, intended to replace the older ISO spec. The file itself comes from CyberLink. You need it to read DVDs.

I really don't like being the one to say this but, it's looking like you are having enough trouble to consider reinstalling your OS... The BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death) you've been getting indicate you are having bigger problems than just a video decoder. Perhaps --and I'm only saying you should think about this-- a clean install with all your hardware present at install time will help you sort out the problems.

Another thought... I really don't like LG's DVD drives. I was going through about 2 a year on my own machine. They would go along just fine then they'd quit for no apparent reason. My customers were having similar problems. Then, after that whole Bluebirds fiasco this summer, I went around and replaced all the LG drives in machines I maintain with LiteON drives. No more problems... well, at least so far.
If I were to recommend, I'd say to take it back and get either a LiteON or Pioneer drive.

Other than this, I'm fresh out... I really do wish you luck with this.
If you do solve the problem, please remember to tell us how you did it!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ahh there are two versions... 6.4.1 (I think) that is Media Player Classic and it does require the KLite pack. But there's also 1.2.908 and 1.3.something of "MPClassic Home Cinema" that does not. The Home Cinema version aside from looking the same, is a totally different piece of software. (And yes I do know how confusing that is... ya just gottal love open source...)

The version you want is... Here.

The K-Lite Codec pack I used installed the Home Cinema version of MPC, says it on the titlebar and on the about properties. :) My version is a little out of date from what they list on that page, but that's probably because I installed it several months ago.

Hi, Ive tried a few new things!

I tried playing the hd-dvd via a vga cable (had to install powerdvd to see what error it would throw!), it said i needed critical software update to ensure proper playback of hd and bluray dvds. Firstly, u need to do this with firefox. I also tried to update my ati catalyst control center to v9.9 *as suggested on the LG drive box. Couldnt install it as i didnt have the necessary drivers. Next i upgraded powerdvd ultra with the patch they recommended.

Eventually i had to disconnect the LG drive just to stop the crash?

Looks like im screwed!

G

What a mess! I suggest you go with Option 2 suggestion I gave previously.... rip your HD-DVD to your hard drive, preferably as an .mkv file. If you can watch videos without a problem then it should play fine... Several programs can do this, including one of Slysoft's.

Last edited:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
The K-Lite Codec pack I used installed the Home Cinema version of MPC, says it on the titlebar and on the about properties. :) My version is a little out of date from what they list on that page, but that's probably because I installed it several months ago.

Yes I've seen that setup too... My point was that with MPC-HC you don't need the K-Lite pack at all... it's all in the program. The K-Lite pack is merely duplicating the internal codecs.