Who's playing with Vista?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been toying with Vista ever since the Longhorn days, and I can say that things have gotten much better in Beta 2, but they still have a long way to go.

I am currently working on a performance report regarding both versions of Vista and WinXP, and I can say that it seems XP has nothing to be worried about. Yes, this is a BETA. But there are many programs that will simply not work in Vista, including Sandra, Sciencemark 64-Bit, ACDSee.. and others.

The 64-Bit version of Vista seems to be more buggy than the 32-Bit. While Sandra was problematic in the 32-Bit version, it would not work at all in the 64-Bit. The modules simply would not load, even when logged in as administrator. Battlefield II is another problem. While the game played 'ok' in 32-Bit, it took 10 level loads in 64-Bit before it would actually load, so I could perform some benchmarking.

Vista is due out in early 2007, which means if Microsoft is sticking to that date, they will need to have the final retail copy ready by at least the end of September. This would allow for mass production and shipping of the copies to OEMs and stores in order to be ready for launch. That leaves them roughly 4 months to iron out all of these bugs? Seems unlikely in my opinion.

If you have toyed with Vista, I am sure you know where I am coming from. Ever since they started releasing the 5*** alphas and betas, I have never had some of the same programs work. I had hoped since Beta 2 is essentially RC1, that these problems were taken care of, but not so.

For those who have used it now or before, what do you think so far?

Attachments

• taskman.png
    taskman.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 592
  • vista_64_4gb.png
    vista_64_4gb.png
    158 KB · Views: 746

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I have both the 32 and 64 bit versions downloaded, going to install the 32 bit one when I can get a spare HD to put it on :p No way am I putting it on my main drives!

On a side note, anyone had luck with Office 2007 Beta? Outlook just doesn't work, every email I get appears blank :(

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I have Vista (32-bit) on a lapper here @ work... testing out its functionality.

I installed a 2nd hard drive into my home machine (BOSS) and the damn thing would not finish.

I can only assume it had something to do with being installed on a rig running in SLI. I may retry the installation after removing one card... but that just blew serious chow for me.

Both "In Windows" and "Boot from DVD", neither installation worked for BOSS.

I have spare hardware out on my workbench that will allow for installation on a single card setup. If it works there, I will step back to 1 card and see if the install completes.

I really want to see how it performs on my main box...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
RazorBack said:
On a side note, anyone had luck with Office 2007 Beta? Outlook just doesn't work, every email I get appears blank :(

I haven't used Outlook, but I am loving Excel.

Tech-Daddy said:
I can only assume it had something to do with being installed on a rig running in SLI.

Vista doesn't support SLi in it's current state. I am not sure if it supports Crossfire either.

"I really want to see how it performs on my main box..."

Probably as good as Alpha software :)

Jag

Obliviot
Something very odd I noticed was that vista took a good 1.5 minutes longer to boot when I had another drive, aside from the system drive, enabled on the computer.

amatuerfisher

Obliviot
is everyone still trying beta 2 on here? As of right now I am posting from RC1 Ultimate edition. I am liking the interfaces. It is a lot cleaner and slicker looking than xp IMO. I am still running 2k on my main machine(seeing how its like 6 years old) but on this lappy, i have vista running. Its got 512 ram and a 1.8Ghz pentium m and it still runs pretty smoothly.

I havn't run any benchmarks yet.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have been working with RC1 for a while now and so far, its superior than Beta2 is almost every way. We also have been working with it here at work and it's stable. I love the way it looks but if you want one of the better editions, you almost need to build a whole new PC entirely.

I haven't ran any benches on it either but all is good so far on my end.