Who's going AM2?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am _considering_ it, but I'm not positive yet whether I can afford it :D

Some of the motherboards due to be released look very feature rich, especially with the nForce5 chipset.

So, is anyone planning to go AM2? Waiting for Conroe instead? Both?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
AM2 will probably be in my next pc, 3yrs or so down the line. I don't see myself needing that much for now. I'll probably upgrade to X2 later on, but not going full out for AM2.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm not planning on it for a while, maybe after they come out with the new K8L (65nm) next year or so...................;)

madmat

Soup Nazi
Not I, I'll sit and watch the FS&T threads at the forums I visit for a good deal on mobos, procs and ram though...giggling like a little girl the whole time.

Drew

E.M.I.
Not with the prices

I realize that with a brand new technology the prices will be high, but unfortunately those prices will definetly prevent me from from moving to the bleeding egde. I guess i will just have to remian a step behind unless my pocket book does some serious catchign up.

Archmaille

Obliviot
haha not yet... I'm going to just get a good dual core proc. for my current setup and water cool with peltier's and overclock the crud out of it!!!

Last edited:

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I am thinking about it... but I dont realistically need it (FX-57 right now...)

I want one, just for the sake of having one.... but I definately do not *need* to upgrade right now. My money would be better spent on replacing these 6800GT's with some 7900GT lovin...
;)

liqnit

E.M.I.
i am thinking to wait until at least revision 2 of the boards is out and also a new stepping for the CPU
it is a big step in hardware terms and need to be checked a lot

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't know if I would say it's a big step per se. It's mainly a new memory controller and other minor things tweaked. I personally think the funnest part of having an AM2 would be to screw with the nF5 chipset.