Who Rules the SSD World Right Now?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last week, storage-tracking site StorageSearch posted an interesting report that listed some predictions as to the growth of SSD's in the future, and also includes a top ten list of companies that are important to solid-state technology right now. Not surprisingly, there are a few names on that list that are familiar, and some that are likely not.

fusionio_extreme_071210.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Ive mentioned a few times while chatting maybe on here that components get upgraded to an absurd level until another component becomes the main factor slowing down that development. Then the component dragging it down becomes the focus of attention.

Atm, processors and HDD should be getting the spotlight. If processors do not have some serious evolutions during this HDD focus, then they will immediately be looked to next.

Also, the SSD is lacking cheap speeds with storage a low price. I cant wait for a 1TB SSD that costs $100

madstork91

The One, The Only...
If the way tb drive prices have been dropping lately shows anything...

May be sooner than you think.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I don't know about a 1TB for $100, we just reached that on platter based storage but you aren't too far off Stork. I have been bouncing around the idea of getting an SSD and have been between Crucial and Corsair. I'm still on the fence but as soon as a fast and reliable 256GB drive drops below the $400 range, I will gladly snap it up, regardless of manufacturer.

Given the SSD market now, that might not be too far out.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork91 said:

Mechanical drive prices have -nothing- to do with SSD prices. It's the NAND pricing we need to worry about, not the "TB drive prices". It's going to be a LONG while before we reach the 1TB/$100 SSD pricing. It might happen sooner than we all think, but it's still matters of years, not a year or two.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork91 said:

Mechanical drive prices have -nothing- to do with SSD prices. It's the NAND pricing we need to worry about, not the "TB drive prices". It's going to be a LONG while before we reach the 1TB/$100 SSD pricing. It might happen sooner than we all think, but it's still matters of years, not a year or two.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'm hesitant to speak in absolutes but I doubt we ever see $1 per GB SSDs. I don't know about production costs between the two but we haven't even been close to that on SDRAM and that's volitile memory. It might just be the nature of the beast that we never see prices similar to platter based storage.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I'm hesitant to speak in absolutes but I doubt we ever see $1 per GB SSDs. I don't know about production costs between the two but we haven't even been close to that on SDRAM and that's volitile memory. It might just be the nature of the beast that we never see prices similar to platter based storage.

You may have spoken too soon! While not <$1, the SiliconEdge Blue 128GB can be had for $1.55 per GB, no rebates, no codes, no tax, and free shipping. Even made a news blurb for it: Link

It was only a few weeks ago I noticed the entry-level SSD's were trending down towards $2 per GB, so this was a real surprise to see. The key will be how NAND flash continues to change, if they keep sliding we will continue to see prices slowly drop as they have been doing... Chances are, I suspect we haven't reached the floor yet. :)

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Prices are one thing, reliability and density is another. There seems to be a complete detachment from SLC NAND from the consumer market, it's nearly all MLC now. I guess prices need to drop and density increase before SLC takes off, since then it'll be worth the investment considering it costs 3-4 times more. Speed is becoming less of an issue now, the throughput from SSD's is far greater than most Striped RAID arrays, just need to sort out latency now.

I'd agree with Kougar on this, prices will continue to dive, consumers demand it. When it hits the $0.50/GB mark, they'll probably divert their attention to speed then reliability since density and $/GB go hand in hand. I don't think they'll undercut HDD's, at least any time within the next 3-5 years, wouldn't be in their interest, nor could SSD's provide the same level of data resilience.

With regard to memory prices, that's somewhat different. RAM latency is significantly lower than NAND, provides significantly faster throughput, and it's in much lower demand per GB compared to storage. It's requirements are completely different from storage, so it's a case of apples and oranges.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
The cost per GB is the main reason I haven't bought one yet. Even if it is faster, I simply haven't felt a significant reason yet.

I know the reason is there, and Im currently running everything on 200GB. This confuses me since I was running out of room back home on 700GB of space though.

Between my music and texture map collections... You might be shocked how much space small stuff can take up.

Edit: P.S.
Im not claiming to be a genius, but I do have a certain ability for recognizing patterns, trends, and predicting things off of that sometimes. Im wrong sometimes, but I can say that when it comes to computers, I am usually right. 5 years ago I was screaming that touch screen was going to revolutionize nearly everything we were doing away from a desktop (and it will more than soon change that as well)

SSD's will have to adapt to the general market and its the invisible hand that will guide it there. Innovation has a way of handling the technology side of it.

I mean, India has a $35 tablet to rival the iPad now.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Prices are one thing, reliability and density is another. There seems to be a complete detachment from SLC NAND from the consumer market, it's nearly all MLC now. I guess prices need to drop and density increase before SLC takes off, since then it'll be worth the investment considering it costs 3-4 times more. Speed is becoming less of an issue now, the throughput from SSD's is far greater than most Striped RAID arrays, just need to sort out latency now.

NAND reliability doesn't seem to be as major an issue as you or I would think. Even if the NAND began wearing out it would take time before the GB's of spare area would become depleted, and user tools exist that show how many bad sectors have been remapped. To date all the SSD failures I'm personally familiar with (admittedly a small sample) have been abrupt "deaths", not gradual ones. This suggests to me the issue to worry about isn't NAND longevity but something else... controller design and firmware being the two I know of.

That said, a normal HDD carries the same warranty as a reputable brand of SSD. While 5-year warranty HDDs still exist from Seagate and Western Digital they cost twice as much as the 3-year models at the same capacities. Some server models cost even more than that. Between a user paying $300 for a top model WD Raptor or $300 for a 128GB SSD + 2TB hard drive, I know which I would choose.

I'd agree with Kougar on this, prices will continue to dive, consumers demand it. When it hits the $0.50/GB mark, they'll probably divert their attention to speed then reliability since density and $/GB go hand in hand. I don't think they'll undercut HDD's, at least any time within the next 3-5 years, wouldn't be in their interest, nor could SSD's provide the same level of data resilience.

This is the intriguing bit to play market analyst on. I've said in these forums before (somewhere) that I don't expect SSDs and HDDs to reach price parity for 5-10 years, and that was my optimistic figures. SLC is another matter entirely.

One thing that complicates the issue is three-bit NAND. SLC uses a single bit per cell, MLC uses two bits per cell, and is why hence (partly) it is both cheaper and wears out more quickly. Two or three different NAND manufacturers have developed three-bit NAND, would be even cheaper than MLC flash is even before factoring in the higher capacity it offers per cell. So far no company has begun using it yet that I know of, but last I heard they were still planning on moving the three-bit NAND process down to a current FAB production size for use in cheap USB flash drives or entry level SSDs. If/when that does show up it could really change the current outlook on prices.

With regard to memory prices, that's somewhat different. RAM latency is significantly lower than NAND, provides significantly faster throughput, and it's in much lower demand per GB compared to storage. It's requirements are completely different from storage, so it's a case of apples and oranges.

The only problem with RAMdrives has been nobody has been able to design a disk-controller that is capable of utilizing even a fraction of a RAM's speed. Acronis was the last to try, but the controller was very quickly surpassed in performance by standard SSD controllers. With prices being what they are there isn't any cost advantage to a RAM drive either, and drive capacity would be another major limiting issue. RAM drives still have their uses, but I think they are consigned to being software-based for the foreseeable future.

Between my music and texture map collections... You might be shocked how much space small stuff can take up.

Yeah, no kidding! All those documents keep piling up... it is easier to let them collect electronic dust than risk deleting them and needing one a month later. That's why I stick to a RAID 5 NAS though... short of a house fire or even more statistically improbable lightning strike, my data is safe and I can keep only programs + OS on my personal SSD.

NAS's are still costly yes, but the peace of mind and extreme ease of use has more than justified it for me in hindsight. And last I checked Intel did have a four-bay NAS for $150 powered by a Celeron, I've not checked if that's still around.

Last edited: