Who enjoys Windows Vista?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's clear by now, I'm sure, that I dislike Vista. In fact, I cannot write enough bad things about it, and I rarely ever use it. However, I am constantly told by many people who do use Vista every day, that they never run into any issues. This is surprising to me, since I can't boot into it without something happening, even minor. I've had notepad crash on a brand-new laptop, so perhaps I just have very bad luck.

For those who enjoy Vista, do you really never run into any issues, or do you just ignore them? I think the most prevalent error I receive are "Not Responding" applications, although 25% of the time the programs are actually responding. I am just curious if happy Vista users are pleading blissful ignorance or if they really never run into any issues.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The only issue I had was the drivers for video.
I had the 8600GT running in SLI and the video stopped briefly, so I went back to single card in nView setup. No problems since. It may have been an incompatibility issue with the two cards together for some reason.
They are identicle as it should be.
Bios is the latest and everything else is updated.
No other issues have been present.
I actually like the new OS, but the beta2 was buggy.

Merlin

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
There are a few bugs, but I haven't had near the amount of troubles that you have had Rob. I still use XP but I work with Vista at work quite a bit as well.

werty316

Partition Master
I don't mind Vista but I use XP 99.9% of the time on a dualboot HD. Just like XP I disabled all that Aero crap in Vista and use a classic theme as I don't like that visual garbage.

Hopefully SP1 will make Vista better just like how SP1 made XP better.

Tramapolean

Obliviot
I have been running Vista pretty much since it was released and never felt the need to go back to XP. However, I do have up to date components and I really can not claim to be stressing the system out, so perhaps it has just worked out nicely as a result. Considering I have not even had issue with the hilarious virtual memory doubling for graphics, I am more likely just lucky so far :)

BentFez

Obliviot
My wife and I were just discussing how few bsod's we've had at home in the last two years compared to our work computers. Vista is solid for me -- but then so is XP at home. I am still waiting for drivers for one of my peripherals, however.

Amazing how much worse things can be in a corporate environment.