Which mobo?

Blumen

Coastermaker
Ok, i've finally decided that this Socket A isn't going to take me much further before i throw something at it, or it blows up.

I'm going to s939, or possibly a Dothan. I'd rather have an A64, but we'll see. For right now, i'm going with a 146 Opteron.

Which motherboard should i get?

MSI Neo2 Platinum

or

DFI NF3 Ultra D.

I can get the DFI for $105 new i believe, and the MSI a bit more than that, i think around $115-$120.

I know they're both fairly picky, but have great results and BIOSes.

Which does anyone here recommend?

Thanks.

Word.

E.M.I.
Hey

Id recommned the DFI, i have one and it never failed me yet. But i don't know much about the other one you listed. And A64 Ftw!

Blumen

Coastermaker
Thanks guys, ordering it this week. Hopefully the Opteron early the next week, and then i'm back in business.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good choice with the DFI.

As for the Optie.. rub it in! Great choice, the 146 performs amazingly.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Rob Williams said:
Good choice with the DFI.

As for the Optie.. rub it in! Great choice, the 146 performs amazingly.

Oh, come on... faster than FX-series clock for clock, same cache, clocks to 2.8g on air with a BAD core, cheap as hell... couldn't pass it up for a chance to finally stop relying on socket A. :p

tomato

Obliviot
DFI over MSI any day of the week ;) good choice, good choice.

Does anyone have an opinion about Abit and/or ASUS boards? I've primarily used ABit, and would recommend them to anyone, but I've heard ASUS are pretty reliable as well... any thoughts?

zachig

Obliviot
I would definitely go with the DFI. I think they are among the BEST motherboard manufacturers, if not THE best, especially if you're an overclocker.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK. ;)

werty316

Partition Master
I owned that MSI board and it perform and OC's really well. But for more memory settings and probably a little better at OC'ing go with DFI. All I can tell you with the MSI K8N Neo Platinum board I can get to 300HTT with ease.

anibalX

Obliviot
This msi mobo, has been selected as the best overclocker! and the htt can be modified by software

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
DFI LanParty Ultra D............;) Mine has served me well from day one. The 4v VDIMM is a must if you go with BH5 ram................;)

Any of the major boards will clock above 300HTT depending on your CPU you have, the ram settings are the key to max performance..............:D

Last edited: