Where In Quad's Name Are They?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Guess I'm going to have to put the wife out on the street corner to earn a little extra cash for one of those little gems................:eek:

Wait a minute, we don't have any street corners with sidewalks out here, there goes that idea, darn...................:D

Wow. You give a new meaning to "performance whore", that's for sure.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
LOL..I shouldn't have either really, I honestly have a very sweet wife this time around.

Now for the first 2, that's another story all together.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. Knowing your wife, she'd probably quicker just kick your ass in Counter-Strike: Source before she ever made you sleep on the couch for misbehaving.

Which is still the coolest thing ever.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
LOL......I can still trash her in most every FPS (UT series), she pretty much holds her own in other areas...............;)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Q9450 availability dates

I'm seeing March 27th, April 3rd and April 23rd
So far....

Merlin :techgage:

seanmcgpa

Obliviot
Xeon X3360

Really curious about the X3360 for my hackintosh.... these are available now - but are they overclockable in any way?

Pin compatible with regular Core2Duos, can I just swap out my x6800 for one of these 4 core badboys?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Really curious about the X3360 for my hackintosh.... these are available now - but are they overclockable in any way?

Pin compatible with regular Core2Duos, can I just swap out my x6800 for one of these 4 core badboys?
It's 775 footprint so it should work

Merlin :techgage:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I haven't a clue if it would be seen by the Mac bios or not (they more than likely lock out everything other than what's sold in their HW program, Mac is just that way), but the thing will fit. Best to check some mac sites to see if anyone has swapped out Mac CPU's for the standard PC version before.

If the Macs Bios (or whatever they call it) doesn't list the CPU's micro code ID, more than likely it won't boot.

That's just like PC's when a new CPU is introduced, they need a bios update before the board will see the chip.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Deactivated ?

Was just looking up some CPU voltages for the Q9450 and it says it is deactivated.
From what I see many were buying this CPU and OC' ing to the premium Quad Core costing a grand more.

I guess that's why

It seemed quick to take it off the market for a really good processor

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Claiming Intel took the Q9450 off the market because people bought it to overclock is just silly.

Intel is launching new Quad Penryn parts... just as they've been doing before with their other chips. E4500 replaced E4400, E4600 replaced E4500, and E4700 replaced that one. They all launched at the same $140 price, and Intel took the old ones off the market. They refresh their lineup every 3 months or so.

News broke awhile back: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=13394

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I ordered a Q9450 over the weekend and it's set to be delivered tomorrow. I am looking forward to hopefully arriving at the end of my CPU upgrading for more than a year (upgrading from a E6600 what I got just over one year ago). I am hoping this lasts me a while...

Now I just need to get a second GT and an SLI motherboard. Damn.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Claiming Intel took the Q9450 off the market because people bought it to overclock is just silly.

Intel is launching new Quad Penryn parts... just as they've been doing before with their other chips. E4500 replaced E4400, E4600 replaced E4500, and E4700 replaced that one. They all launched at the same $140 price, and Intel took the old ones off the market. They refresh their lineup every 3 months or so.

News broke awhile back: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=13394

No, they released them very slowly to milk the market and sell as many Q6600's before they became obsolete.