Where In Quad's Name Are They?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
We posted last Monday about the possibility of Intel's 45nm desktop Quad-Cores hitting e-tailers, and as X-bit predicted, it did happen. What we didn't expect though was the fact that the allocations would be incredibly tight, so as a result, it's as though they were never released at all.

In talks with various e-tailers, it seems that replenished supplies will not come until the end of the month, and even then, units will be scarce. With demand so high, it would not be unexpected to see whatever stock hits to sell out almost immediately. Regular stock should improve by mid-to-late April.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
penryn_penny_large_news_logo.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
For those who want a piece of the 45nm Quad-Core action as soon as possible, an alternative option would be to consider a Xeon equivalent. Though marketed as a server processor, specs-wise, they are identical to the standard Core 2 Quads. NCIX.com let us know that they are expecting a shipment of such Xeon's sometime this week. For those interested, here are the models to be on the lookout for:
  • X3360 - 12MB L2 Cache, 2.83GHz, 1333MHz, 95W
  • X3350 - 12MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 95W
  • X3320 - 6MB L2 Cache, 2.50GHz, 1333MHz, 95W
Note that the specifications are identical to the Q9550, Q9450 and Q9300, respectively. I'm also told that these processors will be priced almost identically to what the Core 2 Quads will be, and will remain so until the regular C2Q stock gets in order.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I am still wondering if that little problem Intel divulged about long-term reliability issues they discovered with Yorkfields in testing may somehow be connected to this. They have been selling QX9650 Yorkfields since October... more than enough time to of caught up with demand.

This isn't like the jump from Pentium D to Core 2 Duos, it's just a die shrink Conroe so I can't imagine demand remotely eclipsing that of the launch of "Core" processors in 2006... however even then the shortages weren't this bad for this long.

Intel has 15 fabs give or take, and two of them are producing 45nm chips. They are expecting to have four 45nm producing fabs before the end of this year.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
They are just keeping tight controls on the amount released to force people to buy the older stuff now instead of it sitting on shelves collecting dust.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
They are just keeping tight controls on the amount released to force people to buy the older stuff now instead of it sitting on shelves collecting dust.

I'll have to agree with you............it's all about the bottom line, sell what they currently have in stock first to maximize proffits............:D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I also have to agree... I think it's more to clear the shelves of the older product. I am sure that many e-tailers still have a whack of Q6600 stock. But, they promised a late Q1 launch... and they really seem to be sticking with it.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'd be willing to bet that most, if not all the major e-tailer already have some sort of stock or the new chips already on hand and will not put them up for sale until the last minute.

I guess I'm always a skeptic when it comes to topics like this, along with the fact that I've seen it happen more than once when my son worked in the retail computer trade.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Still waiting for my ( paid for ) Q9450 will be shipped....still not available
I got the EVGA 780i mobo today from Buy dot com...free shipping, no tax..... and I ordered 03/17/08

Merlin

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Damn, that was quick shipping.
Surprised me as well...... the free shipping is rated at 5 to 7 days.
Shipped from :

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#999999><TD class=subheaderwhite1 colSpan=2>Date/Time</TD><TD>

</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#e6e6e6 height=1>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=subheaderwhite1>Activity</TD><TD>

spacer.gif
</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=subheaderwhite1>Location</TD><TD>

spacer.gif
</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=subheaderwhite1>Details</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e6e6e6><TD height=15>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>Mar 19, 2008 </TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>10:03 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff></TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Delivered </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>Acworth, GA </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>Left at front door. Signature Service not requested. </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>6:03 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->On FedEx vehicle for delivery </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>KENNESAW, GA </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>4:34 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->At local FedEx facility </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>KENNESAW, GA </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>3:41 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Departed FedEx location </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>ELLENWOOD, GA </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>12:27 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Arrived at FedEx location </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>ELLENWOOD, GA </TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD height=15>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>Mar 18, 2008 </TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>2:12 AM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD bgColor=#e6e6e6></TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->In transit </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>CHAMPAIGN, IL </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>Mar 17, 2008 </TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>11:34 PM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Left origin </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top>CAROL STREAM, IL </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>6:34 PM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Arrived at FedEx location </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>3:31 PM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Package data transmitted to FedEx </TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top></TD><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>12:40 PM</TD><TD>

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top><!-- only do bold for the first(latest) scan -->Picked up </TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=16 height=15>

<TABLE cellPadding=8 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" bgColor=#e4e4e4 border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle height=15><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>date</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>sku</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=left>description</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><NOBR>product</NOBR></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><NOBR>shipping & handling</NOBR></TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle>tax</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle>total</TD></TR><TR height=1></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>3/17/2008</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>206661623</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ffffff>EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$239.99</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$0.00</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$239.99</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=6>Total for this charge</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffffff>$239.99</TD></TR><TR height=1></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD colSpan=3>TOTAL</TD><TD align=right>$239.99</TD><TD align=right>$0.00</TD><TD align=right>$0.00</TD><TD align=right>$239.99</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>Please note that we bill for each product as it ships.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Merlin :techgage:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Damn that's quick shipping. And yeah, FedEX is "good" with taking it upon themselves to decide whether they leave it there or not. I've found out the hard way.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
For US peeps, PC Connection has them in also:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...10A&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=12-44191429-2

I've never dealt with this company or even know anyone who has, but they look alright.

Guess I'm going to have to put the wife out on the street corner to earn a little extra cash for one of those little gems................:eek:

Wait a minute, we don't have any street corners with sidewalks out here, there goes that idea, darn...................:D

slugbug

Coastermaker
Guess I'm going to have to put the wife out on the street corner to earn a little extra cash for one of those little gems................:eek:

Wait a minute, we don't have any street corners with sidewalks out here, there goes that idea, darn...................:D

Oh well, it was a good plan :rolleyes: