Where are all the Fermi haters now?

x.clay

Obliviot
personally I am a little underwhelmed with the new Nvidia cards. I am glad they are out so we can finally have some competition but I don't fold and I don't play any games with PhysX so for now the 480 just isn't worth the extra $100 over a 5870. Not to mention the heat and power consumption....

x.clay

Obliviot
I heave heard speculation that Nvidia is unhappy with XFX for making ATI cards and that is wasn't just XFX unhappy with the 470/480.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I heave heard speculation that Nvidia is unhappy with XFX for making ATI cards and that is wasn't just XFX unhappy with the 470/480.

There has been loads of speculation about NVIDIA and XFX in the past, this is nothing new and I sincerely doubt it had any implication on this decision. XFX had retail boxes, artwork, and everything cooked up but simply decided to pull the plug at the last minute.

Given XFX is the only GPU manufacturer to offer a double-lifetime warranty on their products, they may have decided it wasn't worth the financial risk. XFX was a big name when NVIDIA launched the G80 (which is larger than Fermi, btw), so they have prior firsthand experience with large, hot GPUs.

Edit: Rob will probably kill me for this. Speaking of hot, here's a Tri-SLI review of the 480. :D

Last edited:

x.clay

Obliviot
I had not thought of the warranty issue but it is a good point and could mean a lot of lost money in the future.

slugbug

Coastermaker
Just think of all the money Nvidia partners must have lost in the last few months. Stocks of high end GT200 series cards had basically dried up and all they had left to sell were the lower end 210 - 250 cards.