When regular users give Windows 8 a go

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When it comes to desktop screenshots, I recommend JPG. Gif should be used only for REAL small images (like avatars and the like). PNGs are fine up to a couple of megabytes.

Nice choice of wallpaper though :D

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Pardon me while I hug my fluxbox interface. I assign hotkeys in a file. Any I want, to do anything I want. I design my start menu and right click anywhere on the desktop to access it.
</ linux luv>

k, now about that artistic abortion that we call the new old metro interface...

It's hideous. I can understand where they were going but honestly not every device is a touchscreen and not every interface should be treated as if it were. Even the SERVER products use it. Who thought that was a good idea?!!?!?!?!

As for Rob's earlier IT manager comments, I can't think for the life of me why anyone in a serious IT position would have need of Win8 exposure already. Most companies do not adopt a new OS within its first year without reason...retraining staff would make for a more difficult and frustrating transition than it already is. Most of them won't even touch it for another few months, I'd bet.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As for Rob's earlier IT manager comments, I can't think for the life of me why anyone in a serious IT position would have need of Win8 exposure already. Most companies do not adopt a new OS within its first year without reason...retraining staff would make for a more difficult and frustrating transition than it already is. Most of them won't even touch it for another few months, I'd bet.

I know a lot of people who work in IT, and all of them knew about Windows 8 a year ago. But this is where I realize most people in IT are not like that. There are people like this chick who don't care about things that might happen in the future. They're not enthusiasts, I guess. I have tended to think most people in IT did have an interest in that sort of thing, but perhaps not.

Still, to go this long and not realize what Windows 8 is... that's impressive. I've talked to the absolute layman, someone not technologically inclined at all, and they knew what Windows 8 was.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Last time I booted into 8, I couldn't find the shutdown button .... so no. :p

I'm just going to watch the show for now, see what happens.

Of course you could just download 8 through a torrent. Nothing's stopping you. That's what everyone at my office did when 7 came out. Of course most of the people at my last workplace were douchebags.