When dinosaurs ruled the internet....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"The CRTC justified the decision by ruling that the infrastructure of the two telecoms giants is not an "essential service," so the CRTC could not force the companies to offer access."

What makes the Internet non-essential? I know many more people equipped with an Internet connection than a home phone. People use the Internet not just for information, but communication as well. This is a truly absurd ruling by the CRTC... they act like they care about consumer welfare, but they clearly don't.

If you want some more sheer genious, check out the first four paragraphs here:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2009/09/08/nb-selection-sales-slump-1202.html

You've got to love it how clueless some people in power are.

sqrl

Obliviot
If Bell gets it's way they're going to force usage caps on the third party ISP I use along with other "taxes". Truly unpleasant.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Bell was founded by Satan himself and I will never in my lifetime ever allow any Bell wires to touch any house I own.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If Bell gets it's way they're going to force usage caps on the third party ISP I use along with other "taxes". Truly unpleasant.

Unpleasant isn't even the word... it's so unfair, and the CRTC hasn't got a clue. Things aren't perfect in the US, but it feels even worse up here in Canada just due to the absolute lack of competition. Sometimes our ultra-small population (compared to the US) doesn't do us much good.

Bell was founded by Satan himself and I will never in my lifetime ever allow any Bell wires to touch any house I own.

Haha, that made me laugh out loud, nice. I do agree, but Rogers is no better... not in any sense.

Phineas

Obliviot
These are the seeds sewn by the late Ted Rogers. The CRTC's concept of the net is based on his concept provided to them 15 years ago as a way to expand his cable business [Roger's Cable was planning expansion into data transfer ten years earlier.]

He, through political connections and massive donations, particularly to the then ruling Liberal Party of Canada, was not only able to establish a nice semi-regulated multi-monopoly on cable TV.

15 years ago he was able to establish the internet as comparative to cable, non-essential "entertainment". The result is that ISP's are considered like Cable TV providers and so long as there is the appearance ocompetition they will inevitably get their way.

But don't expect that to change without court challenges. The political level is struggling to deal with crime and corruption [with the primary aim of protecting movie and recoding companies profits] And even if you did get enough politicians to agree, they are at the mercy of the snively ervants within the CRTC.

and while the CRTC holds that position, even Revenue Canada recognizes internet as a legitimate business expense.