What to do will all that Hardware from the last build?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I've got some old AGP video cards, with fans...I took the fans off chunked the cards...I mean old cards.
But the fan connectors mate with fan board pins....
Maybe a good cooler for a Southbridge or NB.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You could try adding them to the PC and seeing if you could make the loudest PC on the block?

I am kind of wasteful... I throw most everything out :-/

I've often wondered what I'm going to do with my new build when it gets old or the parts I take out when I upgrade and I've always though that you would just see if you can find someone that doesn't need high-end gaming hardware and off-hand it to them, maybe sell it to them.
I don't know what you'd do in your case though. If they are just old fans I don't imagine they would be worth much at all.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
You never know...I may feel like McGiver and use some part to save the day
I'm the oposite....A pack rat at best.
I even have some 32 mb RAM, I seem to not be able to let go.
Then again, I collect antiques ( my prize item is a 1892 Coke bottle )
And old school books....oh yeah and old keys.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
There's one answer: eBay.
:)
Really?
unless there are those who just want to build an old system?
I try to stay away from ebay....I spend too much when I get to looking around

NicePants42

Partition Master
Maybe a good cooler for a Southbridge or NB.

I wouldn't reuse old AGP GPU coolers on anything important. Apart from being generally noisy as hell (especially once the dust settles in) you also have to ask yourself how much of the MTBF has already passed.

Most motherboards are already equipped with NB/SB coolers; if you'd prefer to swap out the nice new heatpipes for a noisy 40mm POS on it's last legs, best of luck to you.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Might be able to cut up those coolers and use them as passive heatsinks on system hotspots... depends on the cooler though.