What Should the Default Action of Hitting a Power Button Be?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
While working on a couple of projects on my PC last week, one of my cats decided it'd be as good a time as any to hop up onto the chassis and rest his foot on the power button. The chassis I use, Cooler Master's CM Storm Sniper, is quite good in many ways, but if I could change one thing, it'd be the top-mounted power button. Not long after the cat jumped up on the PC, it was turned off... and some work was lost.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Lol! Well the HAF-X has a slider to cover the power/reset buttons! w00t! :D

Remember when keyboards had the power/reset button thingy? It was such a pain in the butt, i or some friend always used to end up shutting my PC down!

Psi*

Tech Monkey
In your case to avoid further cat-tastropies, maybe sleep mode? Or would that be cat-nap?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
The Cooler Master Ammo 533 had it right all along...

2435-1277.jpg

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Meh, Windows XP for all who have forgotten HAS a prompt. Windows Vista and 7 lost it to become more "sleek".

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Haha, sorry Rob! Sounds like a typical feline trying to be helpful though... or maybe it was mad at you for not paying it enough attention. ;)

That had to be my single-largets peeve with the HAF 932 case. The top mounted power button was incredibly easy for anything to press and just pressing a corner would be enough to trigger the button. I've had a few unintended power offs that way. As Doomsday said, that's exactly why the HAF-X has a cover over the panel now!

That's something controlled in the bios I believe.

Yep. The button can be configured from the power options menu, but it can be fully disabled from the BIOS too. When my brother was a toddler he loved electronics and could spot buttons and controls a mile away. He especially enjoyed testing them to see what they would do... ;)