What Memory for Gigabyte M57SLI-S4?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Medium is what I'd give the rag, mainly based on the vidoe card that you're looking at getting.

Crysis is simply a video system killer.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Definitely medium settings @ 1280x1024. May still be a little laggy, not sure...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think with that card, it should handle up to 1680x1050 using medium quality. I can't say for sure (but can tomorrow since it's a test I have to do).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sadly it won't be up tonight (Sunday) due to complications that arose (Vista-specific). All issues are sorted with, but it was a waste of a good amount of hours so I decided to leave it.

I'll post the review tomorrow night, promise :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No nothing like that, it was just random problems where things should have worked, but they didn't. It's all been ironed out (I hope), so I plan to finish up benchmarking tonight and publishing the review later tonight.

At this point, I don't know whether to blame Vista itself or the programs being used. I really dislike Steam for benchmarking though, I can say that much.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Haha kinda off topic now. Only the first few posts were on memory, then we went to computer builds, then motherboards and processors, weather, and now ski resorts!
I guess if you want to carry on the thread I'll try to keep it more on topic... do you think my setup will be enough to run Crysis on medium-max settings?
Medium at the least if not high.
I had the AMD2 6000+ on another machine when Crysis came out and it played fine....you have even a better setup than I did at the time

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The review won't be published tonight due to further complications, but I managed to get results for Crysis specifically:

1280x1024 Medium - 46.119 Avg FPS
1680x1050 Medium - 38.767 Avg FPS
1920x1200 Medium - 31.190 Avg FPS
2560x1600 Medium - 18.617 Avg FPS

Note that those results were from the ASUS EN9600GT, which has higher clocks than NVIDIA reference. By comparison, here are the results from the ASUS EN8800GT card, also pre-overclocked:

1280x1024 Medium - 46.750 Avg FPS
1680x1050 Medium - 42.189 Avg FPS
1920x1200 Medium - 38.742 Avg FPS
2560x1600 Medium - 23.027 Avg FPS

Hope this helps.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Thanks for the info, those really aren't to bad of FPS really..........;)

The game appears to be playable at 1920x1200, I could live with that.

Cool thanks for that Rob. I'll only be running with a 1280x1024 monitor anyway so I will be able to run it fine :) The MSI video card I'm getting is slightly overclocked too I'm sure the speeds wouldn't be that much different to that of the ASUS one.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The difference between the 2 cards would be minimal at best..............;)

And if you need/want a little more power, you can always OC the thing a little.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When it comes to purchasing a GPU, just pick one that looks good and fits your budget. The ASUS one might be pre-overclocked, enhancing performance a bit, but since you are using such a low resolution, it won't likely matter.

You will be able to run ANY game just fine at that resolution, right now and for some time to come.

Still miles off topic seeing as this is in the memory forum, but how future-proof do you think my E6750 processor is in accordance to games and general computer use?

Actualy I jsut ordered my computer yesterday. This is what I ended up getting:

Intel E6750 2.66Ghz

Team Elite (1X2GB) 6400 RAM

ASUS P5K-SE motherboard

Western Digital 320GB hard-drive with 16MB cache

MSI 9600GT

Coolermaster 690 case with window

Coolermaster 650W PSU (non-modular)

Razer eXactMat :D

And I'm just using the DVD-Drive out of my old computer and any other drive that I find around the house that I want to wack in :p

I'm also wondering about an I/O panel for the front of my computer to go into one of the drive slots. I've seen them in various pics around the net but don't know anything about them or what you can get included on them. Is it possible to get one with, say, some USB ports, an LCD screen to display system temp and some other ports like E-SATA and the like?

Thanks,
James.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Still miles off topic seeing as this is in the memory forum, but how future-proof do you think my E6750 processor is in accordance to games and general computer use?

The CPU is fine, it should easily last you a long time, it will normally OC to at least 3.6 if for some reason you want more power out of the thing.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm also wondering about an I/O panel for the front of my computer to go into one of the drive slots. I've seen them in various pics around the net but don't know anything about them or what you can get included on them. Is it possible to get one with, say, some USB ports, an LCD screen to display system temp and some other ports like E-SATA and the like?

Thanks,
James.

There must be hundreds of different front panel bay devices out there.............:eek:

Best thing to do is go through a few e-tailer web sites and look around at what they have. They come with just about any option under the sun these days.