What Linux to run...

For those of you who run Linux and are more familiar with it than I might be:

I have Ubuntu 6.06, openSUSE 10.2, Freespire 1.0.13, and Fedora Core 6 and I'm just wondering which of these (or even other options) should I install on an extra internal hard drive I have on my old Dell.

My Dell has a P4 2.4GHz, 768MB RAM, 64MB Graphics card and runs Vista RC1 and XP Pro just fine.

I have a new computer now that I'm running Vista on, and I want to reformat the extra hard drive in my Dell (31 GB capacity) and put a good version of Linux on it to play around with.

I think I'm partial to Fedora Core 6 or Freespire. Any thoughts??

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry for the slow response... I'm still out of town. If you want XGL, openSUSE may be the way to go. I believe it's built in standard now, so you can just enable it as long as your video card is 3D accelerated. Ubuntu would be a good second choice because there are many tutorials around the web.

Fedora is good, but I dislike Freespire. Many people disagree with me, but I think even more agree with me. It's good if you are a completely new Linux user, but it doesn't really do anything to teach you Linux. Using it for a while and then moving onto another distro, you'd be lost.

Ubuntu or SUSE are good choices in my opinion.

Cool Rob, thanks for the info. I'm taking a class on UNIX right now so that really helps a lot with Linux of course. I'll probably try Ubuntu soon. :)

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I wanted to respond, but Rob is the Linux guru around here, I think. I've got a partition on my second hard drive that has a Sabayon distro on it. I like it, but don't mess with it enough to learn anything.

Good luck with your UNIX course dude. I'm sure you'll learn alot.