What kind of mouse do you use for gaming?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What kind of mouse are you using for your gaming?

I have always used an Optical mouse, but lately have been using the MX1000 from Logitech. It's an awesome mouse, but doesn't seem that it's built for gaming, I think just because it's cordless. More tests to be had for sure though, as I will likely change my mind.

There are a ton of different mice for gaming, so which do you use? Logitech has a new pure gamers mouse coming out [MX518], which looks hopeful, since you can change your DPI during play.

Just want to know what everyone uses.. so I can have more excuses why I suck so bad at UT and CS: S. :D

Will Nave

E.M.I.
I use a wired black and gray logitech mouse with dual optical sensors.

746.gif

* A 2X optical sensor-up to 800 dpi
* Three customizable buttons and a scroll wheel
* WebWheelâ„¢ software for smarter Internet browsing
* Comfortable in either hand

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
I use the mx 700 wireless from logitech, though most of the buttons arent compatable with most games. I think im going to try the new one logitech is coming out with soon, the mx530 is it?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Expect a review of the MX518 tomorrow or Friday.

Mike, you play CS right? How do you find playing those types of games with a cordles mouse? I found that the control was a little worse, because I have the habit of lifting my mouse, moving it, and it then moving me in game. That doesn't happen with optical.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I use the standard sony vaio mouse with cord... There isnt really a name for it...

Why? Cause it came with the computer and if i keep it clean it works fine for what i use it for...

Muddy

Obliviot
i use mx510 maybe once i get more money ill gethte mx518 and see if i can tell a difference. I love this mouse its so comfortable. B4 this mouse ive always had crappy microsoft ball mouses, they were horrible

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oh yeah..

If anyone besides me lives in Canada.. Staples are selling the MX510 for $18.88..

$30 instant rebate and a $10 mail-in.

Good deal for sure.. considering the other day they were $60CAN.

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
Yea Rob, CS is my life:) I do find find that a broblem, when it happens, But I changed my mouse sensitivity up so i can turn faster that has helped. But I find the lifting of the mouse problem also effects me on cord mice too, all opticals do that i think, so i cant wait to try this mx518, looks nice :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh.. the boomslang.

I used one when they came out. I remember the ads, I think they were with the game Hitman.

Good times.

ultragooey

Obliviot
Yea, my old roommate and I scored 2 of them at Frag4 in Dallas, waaaay back in 2000. I still have a V5 6000 vid card from the same convention. remember those?

reptilezs

Obliviot
im still using my first optical mouse a logitech wheel mouse optical. its at least 3 years old. still going strong, the mouse feet are still there but one of them needs regluing. it also has some paint rubbed off on the finger pads

sp1k3

Obliviot
I use a Dell Logitech Optical Mouse, similar to Will Nave but it has a Dell trademark on it as well.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
My primary mouse is a MX700, use that one daily (as long as my daughter does not hide it from me!)

;)

When I go LAN'ing, I take my red/marbled MX510.

I'm a bit annoyed @ Logitech for not handling their multiple buttons better in gaming.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
How do you mean exactly? With the MX518, in Counter-Strike at least, I was able to configure all my buttons fine.

For instance, I use the forward button to bring up the buy menu, and the back button to enable voice chat. The only Logitech mouse I know by experience that is hard to configure for gaming is the MX1000.

Now I guess I can add MX700 to that list :p

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Unless there is another way, my games do not natively recognize anything other than the first 3 primary buttons on my MX700. :confused:

The side buttons, I can only use if I pre map them to "letter" binds, and then set those letters to specific actions in the game.

It goes like this:

I config my side buttons for a specific function, they should appear as MOUSE4 and MOUSE5... but they won't. I have to go into the Logitech software, configure my MOUSE4 = "P" and MOUSE5 = "O" or something else like that. Then, when I go into the game, I have to set the action that I want for MOUSE4, I hit it to the binded key "P", and so on.

I got that solution from Logitech, which upsets me greatly.

You have a solution that is better?
(please say yes....)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, the only thing I can figure, is that it could do with the drivers.

I believe the MX700 uses MouseWare, which I believe to be junk anyways. You may want to try the drivers they send with their newer mice, although I cannot guarentee they will work, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

You can download the latest one here, and hopefully that will work as hoped.

Don't worry about the MX518 pic.. it should be a universal driver. They just don't edit the older mice pages with new drivers :|