What Caused the Death of Microsoft's Courier?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Remember the Microsoft Courier? Given how it came and went within the span of a few months, I doubt many would fault you if you didn't. What the Courier was, though, was one of the most innovative-looking products we ever saw come out of Microsoft. A tablet unlike any other, designed not solely for content consumption, but content creation.

microsoft_courier_engadget_032310.jpg

Read the rest of our story and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The idea sounded amazing. It's too bad it didn't come to market. I would hope Microsoft knew something that others didn't and that's why they killed it. Regardless, it was an awesome concept.

marfig

No ROM battery
I never heard of it before. But after reading this, the referenced article and some more over the web, I can probably sympathize with the idea that the software base of the product didn't line up with Microsoft plans. What on the other hand is very hard for me to understand is how the physical format of this device was, that too, abandoned.

Here's to hope we get to see it again. Because -- depending on size and weight -- that could be the type of tablet I'd kill for. And this from someone who doesn't actually appreciate much the concept. The pen is a also a big selling point for me. But mostly those two screens are an invitation to anyone interested in a tablet as a book reading and a PIM device.

MacMan

Partition Master
I never liked the idea of dual screens attached by some flimsy mechanism, as I tend to think it would break at some point. Besides holding one of these things would seem to be uncomfortable. Didn't Sony create a dual-screen tablet?