Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel has the answer:

319270_10150358546911850_22707976849_8879840_1957273152_n.jpg

Ironically, that image is the 1,337th attachment uploaded to the forum! :D

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
You know, I think this ad really works. I can`t believe I`ve made do with these measly 4 cores all this time ....

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I loved most of those BMG commercials! They ended around the time the Athlon64 showed up and began crashing Intel's party, which was probably a good thing...

I saw one of their performances in person.. Blue Man Group is one of those groups best to go see live! :D

Kayden

Tech Monkey
LOL, that was good but still not going to jump on six core, especially when I think 8 core is around the corner next spring.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It's shit like this Intel...

I am very aware of my computing needs. I do the same things on my machine daily. It's unfortunate that my desires have no idea whats going on because I want one of their six core procs very badly.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Any idea where this will stop? I know super-computers have hundreds of cores. I wonder where it will end. Maybe it won't.

It's hard to speculate on this sort of thing. Die-shrinks can happen, but I think there will be a point when the physical die is too large to remain efficient (could be too power-hungry). GPUs get away with having hundreds of cores because they are mostly fixed-function and have nowhere near the capabilities of an actual CPU core.

I think Intel could continue to add in more cores as the die-shrink decreases, but I think what it's doing now is just focusing on overall performance of each core (a lot of people don't -need- a million cores) and possibly adding in extra silicon for specific tasks (instruction sets).

I don't really see 10-cores on the desktop happening for a while, though it's hard to say. We -will- see eight cores next year, and servers already have 10-cores. I know I'd not turn down a 10-core! On the six-core i7-990X it takes about 8 hours for me to transcode a Blu-ray into an archival 1080p video. Almost makes me want to build a Xeon dual-socket server :D