Western Digital Launches World's First 2TB Hard Drives

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Western Digital today announced what we new was inevitable, a 2TB hard drive, built using four 500 GB platters, which produce an areal density of 400 GB/in2. The launch model is part of WD's Caviar Green series, meaning that it's designed for low noise, low power consumption and for the most part, is better than the rest for being used in smaller PCs, such as HTPCs, WD claims.

The new drive's SRP is $299, or ~$0.15 per GB, which is a rather healthy boost over the 1 TB's average cost of ~$0.11 per GB. It's clear that this drive is designed for those who want to maximize as much of their chassis hard drive bay space as possible, while having an insane amount of storage space to deal with. I admit, I'm not even sure I could completely fill something like this anytime soon. I have 2.25 TB worth of storage in my main computer, and I only have about 60% of it used, plus, a lot of that is backup.

Our friends at Hot Hardware have had an ES drive in their lab for the past week and have been able to put it to a quick test to see how it delivers on the performance front. Once formatted, the drive will offer 1.81 TB for use, and at first glance, you can expect a read speed of around 90.0 MB/s, and Write of 80.3 MB/s. Not too shabby for a low-powered super-large drive! You can expect these to begin popping up on your favorite e-tailers this week.

western_digital_caviar_green_012709.jpg

"While some in the industry wondered if the end consumer would buy a 1 TB drive, already some 10 percent of 3.5-inch hard drive sales are at the 1 TB level or higher, serving demand from video applications and expanding consumer media libraries," said Mark Geenen, President of Trend Focus. "The 2 TB hard drives will continue to satisfy end user's insatiable desire to store more data on ever larger hard drives."

Source: Western Digital Press Release

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
And Western Digital POUNCES all over a down and almost out Seagate (although the whole Seagate issue is so damn overblown it is incredible).

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I wouldn't say they are down and out, but they have certainly had their fair share of better days. This is incredible for WD... a single 500 GB platter is insane. Four in one drive is just plain ass awesome.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I was hoping the sarcasm would have shown through better since I agree that Seagate is far from down and out. BUT, this is some really good timing on WD's part to get these 2TB drives out for all the people wrongly ditching their Seagates.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You couldn't be any more right though about the firmware issues being blown entirely out of reason.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I was more impressed with the 2TB WD drive until I read that it was only a 5400RPM unit. That's nice performance from a 5400RPM disk, but I'll keep waiting for a 7200RPM model to see what it can really do.

Which issue?
The Free agent series?

Bricking drives issue across most of their .11 model line + the firmware fix that bricked a few more drives.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, the bricking drives issue... although the Freeagent issue is truly ridiculous as well.

I don't think it's related, but my friend (whom I built a PC for three months ago) just had his 1TB 7200.11 drive die. Couldn't apply the firmware, because the drive wasn't even detectable by the BIOS.