Want to save cash? Carry around $100 bills!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you the type of person who can't help but spend money all the time? Don't worry, so am I. As odd as it may seem, one great way to save money might be to carry only $100 bills on you. It may seem counter-intuitive, but picture a scenario where an item costs $20. Do you really want to break a hundred? That's the idea behind this mind-trick, and according to a recent study, it apparently works.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1887485,00.html

Personally, I think simply leaving no cash in your wallet would be just as effective. Just keep your debit or credit on you. I think the same idea would apply... do you really want to haul out the debit for a small purchase? Or better yet... self-control! That would be the ultimate solution, huh? Too bad that's a lot easier said than done.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Um, perhaps it works because most stores refuse to break $100 bills unless you're spending most of it? ;)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This seems silly to me but that's just me.

I can spend money all day with my debit card (I don't dick with credit, learned my lesson young) because there is no psychological sensation of loss . If I am going out to mindlessly shop, I will go to an ATM and get out what I am willing to spend. At least then, I can physically watch it fly out of my wallet (SCREW YOU LAS VEGAS).

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i just broke a Rs.5000 for Nandos Peri Peri Chicken with Peri Peri rice and Fries and Chilled Pepsi! totally worth it! hehe!

this trick never works wen i get hungry!lol!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At least then, I can physically watch it fly out of my wallet (SCREW YOU LAS VEGAS).

Haha! I agree, I kind of run into the same mentality with debit/credit often.

this trick never works wen i get hungry!lol!

You got that right! When it comes to that, I tend to spend more than I ever need to, and get more food than I ever need to. I guess that explains why I have a gut.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You got that right! When it comes to that, I tend to spend more than I ever need to, and get more food than I ever need to. I guess that explains why I have a gut.

Err... perhaps it may be more the booze than anything. I'm in the same boat. :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Err... perhaps it may be more the booze than anything. I'm in the same boat. :(

I like to use the booze excuse. As long as you aren't an alcoholic, are people going to look down on you because you got a gut thanks to the juice? Not bloody likely!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Um, perhaps it works because most stores refuse to break $100 bills unless you're spending most of it? ;)

I think you're on to something here...

Unless you're at a restaurant, or a gas station buying enough gas... aint too many places that simply go "YAY" over a 100.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think you're on to something here...

Unless you're at a restaurant, or a gas station buying enough gas... aint too many places that simply go "YAY" over a 100.

That's true. Sometimes when I'm in a store and I ask if they'll take a $100, and they say yes, I actually come off surprised. I almost wonder sometimes if they think I'm up to something, hah.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I don't buy this whole idea at all. I would not hesitate for a second to break a $100 bill and I would probably just spend more because I only had $100 bills.....

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't buy this whole idea at all. I would not hesitate for a second to break a $100 bill and I would probably just spend more because I only had $100 bills.....

Well, I guess it would help to just NOT look at things as well. If you pass by a store, don't go in. I mean, the reason most people spend cash is because they end up getting bored and want to go browse. If you stay at home, you are much more likely to save money.

If you are the type of person who just wants to spend money because you have it, then it's really going to be difficult to break the habit.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Dude, if I had the money required to have the ability to carry hundreds around with me, the last thing I'd need to do is save money... I'd have more money than I knew how to spend.