Want to Post on Blizzard's Forums? Prepare to Debuff Your Privacy

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
One of the most popular methods of communication on the Web today is by way of message forums (or boards). We of course have our own, filled with lots to read and discuss with other knowledgeable posters. We're not alone, of course, as it's almost a given that most content sites out there have message forums, because after all, it's a simple way to discuss issues with other people, regardless of skill level.

world_of_warcraft_070610.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I’d have to agree…. Very strongly, this is a very bad move. At least with facebook and the like you can hide your real name (or not sign up), this is just opening up a whole new level of abuse. It is frighteningly easy to find out where someone lives with just a name… if you are eligible to vote, you’re on the voting register – thus searchable (all be it for a very small fee). With a name, you can get an address, with an address you can get a date of birth, and with that, you can get medical records and apply for credit cards and loans. Bad bad move, very bad.

They had a choice here, make everyone post under their real name or apply better moderation from staff…. I guess they didn’t think this one through….

killem2

Coastermaker
Normally, I would agree, but the blizzard forums is by far one of the most disgusting forums I've ever experienced. The problem is, lack of moderation, poorly design forum, and the biggest problem by a mile is, the INSANE amount of people using the forums. Personally, if this is the way they have to do it to help destroy the trolling on the boards I'm for it, however I would enforce penalty fees for breaking forum rules. Maybe if you start getting the bills of mommy and daddy's credit card bills with a:

"Infraction for breaking forum rules" fee of 9.99 maybe they will clean up their act.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I used to visit that place for custom map stuff on occasion for WC3. The place has really gone down hill since WoW came out.

There were always flame wars and trolls, but after the WoW release it was like the community tripled or quadrupled in size, everyone was agitated and mainlining red-bulls and cocaine, and the moderation staff actually went down in numbers for about a year.

I am completely against the forceful removal of anonymity. I am sure anon is not amused, I am curious as to the blow back from that community.