Want to OC my new computer when it arrives.

So this is a link to the computer specs:
http://www.forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?p=20115#post20115

At the bottom will be a Screen shot of the specs, think it is in the last 2 posts.

Okay so I have never done anything with my other computers except working or playing games.
So I want you to go slow with me, I know NOTHING of this overclocking. Not a thing. When you say "go into the BIOS" I say, okay where is that? :p

So you have seen the gear I will have at my finger tips, and without further delays this is why I want to OC it.
I want to OC it to be playing really high end next gen games with no problems, and for the pure reason that then I know how to OC and I have experienced it for myself.

Okay so useful links?
Guides?
Tips?
Suggestions?

And one minor question, with the Titan Amanda TTC-NP04TZ - LGA775 TEC CPU Cooling System will it be able to handle overclocking or should I invest in another cooler? The ones on the site I am building from have to choose from:

Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU Cooler
Thermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU Cooling Fan
CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System
Asetek Liquid LGA775 CPU Cooling System
Titan Amanda TTC-NP04TZ - LGA775 TEC CPU Cooling System

So which one would be most suitable for keeping the system as cold as possible at all times, idle and running high maintenance games?

NZXT Lexa Blackline Performance Mid Tower Steel
That is the case so you got some idea of air flow too.

Thanks.

Edit: (Using Vista 64 bit)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As soon as you receive the machine, download and open CPU-Z to see what revision the CPU is. If it's B3, then it will run slightly hotter. If it's G0, then the overclocking ability is going to be great!

With that TEC cooler, depending on its performance, overclocking should be solid. I can see 3.5GHz being possible if the temperatures are kept within reason.

To overclock, the Front-Side-Bus (FSB) must be increased. This number and the Multiplier is how the clock speed is calculated:

FSB x Multi = Clock Speed
so...
Q6700 @ 2.66GHz = 266 x 10 = 2660MHz, or 2.66GHz

As you increase the FSB though, the RAM speed will also increase. On the overclocking page in the BIOS, upping the FSB should automatically change the value of the RAM. Depending on the overclocking ability of the RAM, you will want to try to keep that as close to stock speed as possible, which in that OCZ's case, is PC2-6400 = DDR2-800 = 400MHz.

Stock voltages on that CPU will be around 1.30v, so to increase the clock speed and to keep things stable, that might need to be increased. If it's a G0, I think that 3.0GHz could be hit without raising the voltage at all. However, for anything higher, you might want to bump it up to 1.4v. Overclocking is a game, and you just need to play it, to see where you can get.

All I can say is don't go above 1.50v CPU unless you see the temperatures are kept within reason (80°C at full load should be your limit). On a TEC, full load at stock speed should hover around 60°C - 65°C.

Once the system is in your hands, it will be easier to guide you through it. So once you do, hit us up for any questions you might have.

As for cooling possibilities, I'll let others jump in here. I have no interest in cooling, so I know nothing about what's good or not.

As soon as you receive the machine, download and open CPU-Z to see what revision the CPU is. If it's B3, then it will run slightly hotter. If it's G0, then the overclocking ability is going to be great!

With that TEC cooler, depending on its performance, overclocking should be solid. I can see 3.5GHz being possible if the temperatures are kept within reason.

To overclock, the Front-Side-Bus (FSB) must be increased. This number and the Multiplier is how the clock speed is calculated:

FSB x Multi = Clock Speed
so...
Q6700 @ 2.66GHz = 266 x 10 = 2660MHz, or 2.66GHz

As you increase the FSB though, the RAM speed will also increase. On the overclocking page in the BIOS, upping the FSB should automatically change the value of the RAM. Depending on the overclocking ability of the RAM, you will want to try to keep that as close to stock speed as possible, which in that OCZ's case, is PC2-6400 = DDR2-800 = 400MHz.

Stock voltages on that CPU will be around 1.30v, so to increase the clock speed and to keep things stable, that might need to be increased. If it's a G0, I think that 3.0GHz could be hit without raising the voltage at all. However, for anything higher, you might want to bump it up to 1.4v. Overclocking is a game, and you just need to play it, to see where you can get.

All I can say is don't go above 1.50v CPU unless you see the temperatures are kept within reason (80°C at full load should be your limit). On a TEC, full load at stock speed should hover around 60°C - 65°C.

Once the system is in your hands, it will be easier to guide you through it. So once you do, hit us up for any questions you might have.

As for cooling possibilities, I'll let others jump in here. I have no interest in cooling, so I know nothing about what's good or not.

Cheers mate, I will revive this thread when it arrives. Ordering in a week and a few days.

Apparently the Titan Amanda TTC-NP04TZ is getting mixed reviews, some say it is awesome and keeps the CPU cool, some say it's dangerous because it can in situations produce condensation that will leak down to you hardware and the result isn't nice. Also if the case isn't big enough because it produces alot of hot air it can be a hazzard and do more hard then good. So need to point the hot air exit towards a fan blowing out of the tower and it's perfect.

I don't know weither to just choose no cooling then buy one seperate, or choose one of those and see how I go.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, the ones I can choose to come with it are on the first post of this thread. I want it to be as cool as possible at all times don't care about the cost (within reason) and if I am going to be buying it and putting it in myself it has to be relatively simple and easy. As I am not the most savvy person with computers.

So to re-cap, I will be playing games such as Crysis on as high as I can go for many hours at a time, need everything to be kept cold to stop what happened to my last computer happening (spent £1,000 on it and it blew up due to heat). Need literally every part that needs cooling cooled.

Thanks.