Want the Largest HTPC Chassis Ever? Lian Li's Tyr X2000 Is For You

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
As I recently explained in our ASUS U6E 12.1" review, bigger is no longer necessarily better. Today, most people are not satisfied with their PCs unless it's small, quiet and robust. Hard to put all three of those together, but it can be done. Well, there still linger people who think that bigger is better, and wow, does Lian Li have you covered.

The company has just released their Tyr X2000 'HTPC/Gaming Chassis', that's not so much large as it is FREAKING HUGE. As you can see in the photo below, it's capable of supporting a full eATX motherboard with plenty of room for airflow. At the bottom can be found hard drive bays for six drives, with no real expandability past that. But when was the last time you really used more than SIX hard drives?

I digress. On top, a power supply can be mounted in addition to your ODDs and 3.25" accessory, be it a floppy drive (??) or something else. Pricing is not mentioned in the press release, but chances are if you have to ask, it's not going to be for you.

The Tyr X2000 is aligned to become the most unique HTPC/Gaming Chassis on the market today allowing unprecedented high performance components to be encompassed in the home theatre environment without compromising on looks and appeal. The stylish and unique side panels accept 2x 5.25" Optical Device Drives and one 3.5" drive, which are accessible from either the left or right side, while the front face is for ergonomics and airflow. The 6x hot swap RAID SATA HDD bays can contain terabytes of multimedia for your viewing pleasure while the spaciously zoned interior can accommodate virtually any system you can think of.

Source: Lian Li Tyr X2000 Microsite

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, HTPC doesn't equal 'small PC', but I can agree. If you had a seriously cool setup, meaning massive TV or projector screen and a large living area, it might look really cool. But if you are in a cramped livingroom, it's going to look ridiculous.

It's actually probably taller than many TV's that people use...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I absolutely love this case. Too bad it's just not affordable. However, it might not be the normal HTPC, but with a bit of creativity, you could put it anywhere.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I absolutely love this case. Too bad it's just not affordable. However, it might not be the normal HTPC, but with a bit of creativity, you could put it anywhere.

If you were really creative, you could probably replace your refridgerator with it.

If you had a nice setup with a sub-woofer and huge surround sound speakers, along with a big tv cabinet with your plasma in it, it probably wouldn't look too much out of place. With it's simple design I don't think it would look too bad in any medium-sized living room's corner, to be honest. I know for a fact that it wouldn't by any means fit in my bedroom though.