Walt Mossberg Fondles Lenovo's ThinkPad X300

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I am not normally interested in small notebooks, but Lenovo's upcoming X300 has definitely caught my eye. Like the MacBook AIR, it includes a small frame - built for road warriors who don't want to lug a heavy notebook around. Battery-life is also improved as a result, so overall it's a big win. Except for the pricing of course, which falls right below the AIR with SSD at $2,500 - $2,800.

In the case of the X300 though, Lenovo made sure to include a few things left out on the AIR, such as more USB ports, built-in Ethernet and an ODD. To me, the omission of those on the AIR were my biggest gripes, and many others, so it's nice to see them here. The X300 might not be sleek (and it's far from sexy) like the AIR, but it still includes the classic ThinkPad styling that many have come to enjoy over the years.

I look forward to seeing Mossberg's final review on this. Lenovo might just have a winner here.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
walt_mossberg_x300_021308.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Mossberg goes on to note that the ThinkPad X300 weighs 3.12 pounds with a standard battery and optical drive. A comparison is made to the MacBook Air's lighter 3 pound fighting weight, but Apple manages to leave out all the important stuff to get to that figure.

Source: DailyTech

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I currently have two notebooks that I use regularly, a Dell Latitude running Vista Ultimate and a ThinkPad T42 running XP Pro.

The T42, like all ThinkPads, is built like a tank so I expect the X300 would be the same. I use mine as a mobile PC to do site work and dick around. It's good to see that Lenovo isn't driving the old IBM lines into the ground.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's good to see that Lenovo isn't driving the old IBM lines into the ground.

I hear you... they have always set a standard so it would be foolish to rid that. I just love the look of this one... I admit that I wouldn't want to pay the $2,800 for inclusion of the SSD though, but that's because I'm cheap. Using one of these on the plane would be amazing though, especially if it could hit the five-hour battery life mark.

I'm usually all about big notebooks, for it makes a lot more sense to carry around something like this on a business trip.