Vuvuzela... there's an app for that?!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The much-touted "fact" might just be true... "there's an app for that". This World Cup has been more annoying than any other to listen to thanks to the overuse of the vuvuzela instrument, which is little more than a $1 (to build) plastic horn that, when blown into, emits an outrageously loud and annoying buzzing noise. The audio loudness as the noise exits the vuvuzela can reach upwards of 120dBA... by comparison, a loud music concert is about the same. The difference here, is that this noise is constant throughout the entire match, and makes it difficult for even the players to communicate on the pitch.

So, if hearing the noise during the matches wasn't enough, if you own an iPhone or similar device you can download the Vuvuzela app, and have fun annoying everyone you know, or by blowing it if your team goals during a match.

After this WC, I am really, really, REALLY hoping I'll never have to hear a vuvuzela ever again!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20007629-56.html

eunoia

Partition Master
Don't go to Québec's Winter Carnival, they've had them there (trompette de carnaval - also an app!) for way longer than South Africa.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
It can be filtered out with software although the graphic equalizer mention later in this article seems a little more down to earth than Surfpoeten

orthancstone

Obliviot
If you think it sounds bad on tv, imagine what it's like when the guy is two rows behind you.

(Had that delightful situation in the past [nearly 15 years ago...still hate the damn things now]; can't decide what's more annoying, the sound or the idiot with the horn.)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm sure glad it's not just me who hates those things. I first started hearing them in some matches a couple of months ago, but I'm not sure what games they were, qualifications for World Cup or something else. Regardless, they bothered me then but it seemed like no one else seemed to care. Then the World Cup rolls around, and it's almost become an Internet meme, haha!

Psi*, that's a good link! I'd suspect it'd be even easier to accomplish on a PC if someone's watching an online feed. orthancstone, I hear you... I just don't understand the POINT of them. They serve no purpose, whatsoever. They're tradition, sure, but we're talking about an instrument that outputs 100+dBA noise. It's hard to compare that to something like fan singing or even drums. Plus, things like drums and singing tend to be temporary, not continuous throughout the entire match!

orthancstone

Obliviot
I'm sure glad it's not just me who hates those things. I first started hearing them in some matches a couple of months ago, but I'm not sure what games they were, qualifications for World Cup or something else. Regardless, they bothered me then but it seemed like no one else seemed to care. Then the World Cup rolls around, and it's almost become an Internet meme, haha!

You no doubt heard them during last year's Confederations Cup, presuming you tuned in.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
It spoils the whole atmosphere of the game.. The interaction with the crowd after what's going on on the field. It's just one particular frequency like the sound of bees. I must say I don't like it much lol.. I like English crowd like singing - it gives more emotion in the game. I wouldn't be sad to see only a minor amount of Vuvuzela's allowed in the game :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

Haha, I love it. So simple, but effective.

It spoils the whole atmosphere of the game.. The interaction with the crowd after what's going on on the field. It's just one particular frequency like the sound of bees. I must say I don't like it much lol.. I like English crowd like singing - it gives more emotion in the game. I wouldn't be sad to see only a minor amount of Vuvuzela's allowed in the game :)

That's just it... there's a major difference between fans singing on occasion and people -constantly- blowing into these noise-makers that emit sounds up past 100dBA. I couldn't imagine being in that stadium at the time. Earplugs would be a requirement.

eunoia

Partition Master
"Fuhrer, the vuvuzela is a cultural icon in South Africa."

"Don't talk rubbish man. It's a plastic bloody trumpet!"

Hahahahaha.