VMware Player 3 Allows Creation of VM's, Adds 3D Support

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Last month, VMware released updated versions of its popular Workstation and Fusion virtualization software, for the PC and Mac, respectively. Of the new and updated features, we had full support for Windows 7, improved 3D rendering and a whole lot more. Seeing just what Fusion 3 packed in for Mac users, for an easy-to-swallow price of $80, I was a bit perturbed given the fact that the only solution for PC users is the $189 Workstation version.

I sent VMware's Sr. Product Marketing Manager of the Desktop Business Unit, Michael Paiko, a couple of questions last week, including a request as to the reason why PC users don't get a lesser-expensive version of Workstation, like Mac users do. The response surprised me, "VMware Player 3 has the ability to create virtual machines and it includes user friendly features such as easy install, seamless desktop integration (Unity), mutli-monitor support, and support for Windows 7 with Aero Graphics."

Anyone who's used VMware Player in the past would know that creation of virtual machines just wasn't possible. It's called "Player" for a reason, after all. I was a bit of a skeptic, but sure enough, after a download I saw that it was indeed possible to create virtual machines now, which puts Player on the same playing field as VirtualBox, which has allowed the same thing since its creation. Does VMware Player hold back important features to encourage upgrades to Workstation?

Not that I can see. The fact that Michael stated that Player supported Windows Aero gave me hope that it might support other 3D as well, and seen in the screenshot below, that's exactly the case. Google Earth ran surprisingly well, and even my modest MMORPG ran as decent as can be through VMware. You can also see that the VM is using four threads of the CPU, which is another new feature (up from two). Overall, I am quite impressed with my experience with the application so far.

VMware also states that Player is a far better solution to "Windows XP Mode" in Windows 7, because it has greater capabilities, and added features, such as 3D support. Now here's the real kicker. I was complaining that PC users didn't have an affordable version of VMware like Mac users do, but with Player 3, I've been proven wrong. The difference now is that the Mac version is $80, and the PC version is $0. There might be some features Fusion has that Player doesn't, and we plan on investigating that in the near-future, as our beloved Senior Editor and Mac fan Brett Thomas will be taking a hard look at Fusion 3, while I'll see all of what Player is made of.