VMware Fusion Gains Ability to Run OS X 10.5-10.7 in a VM

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Apple released OS X 10.7 'Lion' this past summer, I didn't consider it to be a 'major' release as the company was touting. There was, however, a rather significant feature that I somehow completely missed: the ability to run OS X in a virtual machine. If you're a Windows or Linux user, don't get too excited - Apple has a rule that OS X VMs can work only under an OS X host. As such, both VMware and Parallels updated their respective clients to support Lion not long after its launch.

vmware_fusion_lion_112111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
It's stuff like that that makes me dislike Apple. Too restrictive and totalitarian.

I dislike this too. That said, they control things so closely to control the user experience. A Mac is going to work like a Mac and there won't be any deviation from their set plans.*

*Written from my Dell Hackintosh running Lion OS X. :D

MacMan

Partition Master
Apple doesn't care, and never did care what anyone else thought, but then again, because, I suppose, as the world's most valuable tech company, and with the most cash in the bank than even mighty Microsoft, why should they care?

Aside from that, it is now being reported by the New York Times, among others, that by the middle of next year Apple will replace HP as the world's largest PC maker, so they must be doing something right:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/with-ipad-boost-apple-set-to-become-top-pc-vendor/

marfig

No ROM battery
Aside from that, it is now being reported by the New York Times, among others, that by the middle of next year Apple will replace HP as the world's largest PC maker, so they must be doing something right

Sure they are. That sometime in 2012, after 35 years, Apple may surpass one PC parts maker if they combine the sales for all Macs and iPads.

Which, by the way, should tell you something about all that money on the bank you just don't get tired of talking about. Hint: You do it with soap and water and it floats before it bursts.

And if -- only if -- some hypothetical iPad 3 is launched next year and sells well. I mean, nice wishful thinking article.

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
S
And if -- only if -- some hypothetical iPad 3 is launched next year and sells well. I mean, nice wishful thinking article.

You realize that the above report was based on 'real facts', real sale numbers, which, naturally, would accelerate, as previeous histroy has already proven, once the iPad 3 hit the market with its super hi-res displays would natural increase?

As far as Apple's massive piggy bank, the tech's largest, (and second to General Electric for any type of company), well whats your problem with that, don't like the facts? Here, don't take my word on it:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/1/2...d-8-billion-dollars-in-cash-what-should-it-do

marfig

No ROM battery
You realize that the above report was based on 'real facts', real sale numbers, which, naturally, would accelerate, as previeous histroy has already proven, once the iPad 3 hit the market with its super hi-res displays would natural increase?

No. The 'real facts' you mention are past facts. This is a future projection done by a market analyst company that decided to ignore Apple's own position on the iPad market and classify it as a PC. It is also nothing more than futurology based on a prediction and an announced product with no release date and no specs data.

It also assumes that the rest of the world will just wait holding their breath and doing nothing, not presenting their own growth or drop figures.

"Real Facts" are much, much more than futurology, You should do well heeding to this advice. Especially -- and I mean especially! -- when dealing with market analysts projections in an industry like the tech industry. In case you forgot, some 5 years ago every single one of them was wrong about Apple future and you were ignoring their projections as ridiculous and shallow.

As far as Apple's massive piggy bank, the tech's largest, (and second to General Electric for any type of company), well whats your problem with that, don't like the facts? Here, don't take my word on it

Maybe you misunderstood what I said... No, you misunderstood what I said.

MacMan

Partition Master
"Real Facts" are much, much more than futurology, You should do well heeding to this advice. Especially -- and I mean especially! -- when dealing with market analysts projections in an industry like the tech industry. In case you forgot, some 5 years ago every single one of them was wrong about Apple future and you were ignoring their projections as ridiculous and shallow.

Maybe you misunderstood what I said... No, you misunderstood what I said.

True enough, but the future projections are all based on current sales facts. They may or may not come to pass, of course, but you seem to be implying that since they MAY not happen, they WON'T happen. Whether they do, or don't come to pass is neither here or there.

marfig

No ROM battery
but you seem to be implying that since they MAY not happen, they WON'T happen.

No I don't imply it.

Sure they are. That sometime in 2012, after 35 years, Apple may surpass one PC parts maker if they combine the sales for all Macs and iPads.

Which, by the way, should tell you something about all that money on the bank you just don't get tired of talking about. Hint: You do it with soap and water and it floats before it bursts.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If Apple allows Lion to work in a VM, it should allow at least Leopard and Snow Leopard to work in one also. Save VMware the fix and just allow it, Apple. I couldn't imagine being an Apple developer and having to deal with these stupid restrictions.

Glider

Coastermaker
If Apple allows Lion to work in a VM, it should allow at least Leopard and Snow Leopard to work in one also. Save VMware the fix and just allow it, Apple. I couldn't imagine being an Apple developer and having to deal with these stupid restrictions.

If you were an Apple designer, restrictions would be your middle name ;)

RainMotorsports

Partition Master

A patch a few people might not install for a while.... :p

I was actually suprised by the apple/microsoft value argument. I just read a day ago about Microsofts 210 billion dollar worth in an article on the new anti trust case. Seems this isnt true. But apple is a hardware company these days with software being secondary and a requirement to the prior. Hardware companies have alot more to sell sometimes so it makes sense apple has the upper hand in money. Software developers can technically take nothing and turn it into profit but not on such a large scale.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Not sure if that was your meaning, but it's quite possible to hack them to work in a VM, it's just not user friendly to make them work. :D