Vista system Slowdown

Vaughane

Obliviot
Hello all,

I've built a new pc recently and switched to vista which has been running fine until today when i noticed launching certain applications was causing a massive system slow down.

Specs first

Vista Home premium x64
Kaspersky internet security
E8500 cpu
Gigabyte x48t-dq6
xfx 8800gtx
4gb ocz ddr3 ram (forgot the timings)
lg hd-dvd/blu-ray sata drive
lg dvd/rw ide drive
1tb samsung sata drive
2x western digital 250gb drives running in a raid1 mirrored array

My problem is when ever i try to launch certain applications it causes an extreme slow down (v. jerky mouse etc) of the system and high cpu usage, after 60+ seconds the system goes back to normal and the program responds fine. It also appears to be suffering slow downs when loading as its is taking longer than usual and the mouse goes jerky. I've had the task manager open and it doesn't appear to be any of the applications.

Programs affected include winamp (latest), nero 8, windows media player 11, right clicking on hard drives and opening properties but not accessing the hdd's, inserting new cd's/dvds into the drives

Programs which aren't affected include media player classic, open office, ie7, firefox 3

What I have tried so far

I have been messing around with my codecs recently trying to get thumbnail previews of the .avi files on my pc which suceeding in by installing ffdshowx64 so i uninstalled this and the 64bit vista codec pack to no avail.

I disabled kaspersky but that was no good either.

I also disabled my raid array but that had no effect

I tried a system restore but it disabled my keyboard, mouse, and did something to the internet (gud ol' windows) which had me searching for an old usb-ps2 adaptor in a box in the attic to undo the restore.

Ermm thats about it,

anyone have any suggestions, i've been pulling my hair out all day over this???

Cheers Vaughane

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree with applying the Windows Updates, but I'm doubtful that will fix anything. Did you check the SMART status of your hard drives with HD Tune, or another application with that ability? It seems awful weird for applications to cause such slow-down on such a powerful machine.

Checking the SMART information for each drive would be my first tip, then updating via Windows Update would be my second. You might also want to make sure your motherboard drivers are also completely up to date. Go to the manufacturers web site and download whatever driver might be newer than what's installed.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
What are the certain applications you mentioned that slowed you down??
I take it that everything is okay till you launch those ( certain programs )
If it's Norton internet security, I can see why.....I come across that problem with my customers
If that's the case, go to NOD32, you wont even know it's there
Merlin

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Have you installed the chipset and graphics drivers? It almost sounds like the system is missing the hardware drivers.