Vista... sucks

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I've had Vista Ultimate running here for quite a while now...still no problems.
I'm wondering why everyone else is having problems !

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I just learned how to dual boot Linux Ubuntu and XP so there's no need, want or desire here for Vista. All I need is XP for games, and since I am sporting all DX9 hardware, that really means there's no need for Vista for me.

UnderRAPS

Obliviot
b1lk1, I am running the same setup. No need for MS shit at all. Well, cept to play games but I'll be getting a console soon.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
I've been accused of being a Vista-basher in the past, many times. I agree, sometimes I rant and rave about how much I dislike the new OS way too much. But it's too difficult to keep my mouth shut when many other people are doing the same thing. The latest 'victim'? Jim Louderback joined PC Magazine in 2002 as Editor in Chief and has just stepped down because of his distaste for Vista.

He mentions, "So why, nine months after launch, am I so frustrated? The litany of what doesn't work and what still frustrates me stretches on endlessly." I agree. Vista has been out since the beginning of the year, and when I go to install it, it is STILL as buggy as it was last year when I first installed the RTM. Microsoft doesn't seem to be pushing too hard to have things fixed, or pushing for anything it seems. Nine months later, and Ultimate owners still have nothing to show in way of 'Extras'. I want to like Vista... I just wish Microsoft would give me a reason to.
<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
windows_vista_large_news_logo_killer_of_dreams.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>I could go on and on about the lack of drivers, the bizarre wake-up rituals, the strange and nonreproducible system quirks, and more. But I won't bore you with the details. The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux.

Source: PC Magazine

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yeah, They keep beating around in the bush about it.
Personally, I don't have any problems with Vista.
But then I did a clean install on a new drive

The one thing I hate, there is an update for something every day.

But, All the drivers are fine and I tried an OC at 10% and FSB at 475. It was all stable at 3019 MHz and the temps were around 38C
I guess I got lucky at something finally with Vista.

Merlin

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
What version do you use? The main reason I am not very willing to go to Vista is that their 64-bit support is slow, although much better than XP-64bit. I see no logical reason to buy another 32-bit OS since XP works so well and DX10 is still a ghost.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I only rant about Vista because I've had issues with it on every single computer I've used it on... including brand-new laptops. I just find it absolutely foolish that so many issues can occur from simple tasks.

moon111

Coastermaker
I recently heard the code for Vista is being called the longest suicide note in the history of mankind.

MacMan

Partition Master
Walt Mossberg: The best machine to run Vista!

Walt Mosberg recently reported that, according to the Windows Vista index, the best machine he found for running Vista got a score of 5 out of 5.9.

And what was the only machine to get a score of 5 out of all of the hundreds of various machines tested?

Yes, you got it.... a 2.8 iMac, 24 incher!

The world gets stranger by the day!

http://www.mymac.cc/?p=269

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One, I have no doubts that Mossberg is being paid by Apple. He's said so many extraordinary things about them lately, it's hard to believe otherwise.

Second, I have no idea what the old man is testing, but I have never used a desktop PC that didn't achieve a score of lower than 5.0. My main machine scores 5.7 overall, held back by the hard-drive for some reason.

The mid-range laptop I have beside me scores 4.7, thanks to slower RAM and hard-drive.

BentFez

Obliviot
Gotta second that opinion... Walt must not have tested very many consumer Vista computers.

Whether or not he's on Apple's payroll, Uncle Walt is definitely biased: "But the score was very impressive for a computer that wasn’t designed with Vista in mind."

Because Vista requires changes in pc design? And the way he tries to make it seem that similar performance requires a "tricked out high end Dell or HP box" and thus more expensive hardware than his iMac is criminal.

Buy a Mac to run Vista, what rubbish. Buy the WSJ to line the bottom of your birdcage.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Well, not using a product key and disabling the internet prior to shutting down was a bad, bad idea. I noticed that the date in the BIOS was off by a month, so I changed it back to July. On the next Vista boot, I received a "You must activate Windows to continue".

I just realized that Rob figured out a way to get around the activation simply by backdating your BIOS. :eek: If it works forwards, think it would work backwards? Not that I'm going to buy Vista until I rebuild my box in 2 years or so.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I am running Vista. No problems at all. Easy install too. I get a 5.9 Vista Experience score too. You couldn't give me a free Mac to run anything.