Vista... sucks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think by now everyone is well aware that I despise Microsoft's latest OS, but this morning I added a new reason to the pile. Last night I set up the machine for benchmarking, which required installing XP, Vista and then Fedora. All went well. I configured each OS before shutting down for the night, installing all applications and also disabling each OS' internet capabilities.

Whenever I install Vista for benchmarking, I don't put in a serial key, rather just install without it, which gives 30 days of access to the OS. Well, not using a product key and disabling the internet prior to shutting down was a bad, bad idea. I noticed that the date in the BIOS was off by a month, so I changed it back to July. On the next Vista boot, I received a "You must activate Windows to continue".

That's bad enough, because I've already used a couple different serial keys I have, and don't feel like calling Microsoft to get them fixed. Even if I wanted to activate though, I couldn't... because I disabled my internet earlier. Because of that simple fact, as a normal consumer, I would have been completely SOL. You have the option to set up a new internet connection, but what if you don't have a new one to set up? For whatever reason, at this point of the activation process, Vista disables the "Network and Sharing". If it allowed that screen, I would have been able to re-enable the network device.

You could say I am a tad disgruntled at it, since I have to re-install Vista and then re-write the GRUB boot loader. Pain in the ass.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I definitely don't want to defend MS here, because I've never used Vista, but I have called customer support a number of times when re-installing XP Pro.

I've done at least half a dozen re-installs of XP Pro, and after the 2nd or 3rd time I called MS CS explaining that I was upgrading/whatever, I was later able to reinstall without having to call anyone (like, they gave me X more installations).

From my experience with XP customer support, if you have good serial numbers and are just messing around with different configurations of the same PC (and not installing Vista on ~17 machines that are all in use) you shouldn't have a problem getting the OS activated...Unless Vista can't be activated over the phone.

All I'm trying to say is that it might be easier to call MS than to reinstall everything again, or whatever else you have to do.

Also, Vista SP1 is nearing public beta. Heh, I notice you changed the link highlights. Nice. :D

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think it's bullshit that you have to call up customer service for a product you legally own, irregardless of what you are doing with it. You paid for it, so what if you redo the PC? Why should you have to call up and wait on a line to get it fixed again? This brings me back to the rule where legal buyers are the ones inconvenienced... not the ones downloading Vista off a torrent site.

"All I'm trying to say is that it might be easier to call MS than to reinstall everything again, or whatever else you have to do."

This is still impossible, since the Network and Sharing was disabled, so I was unable to re-enable the device. As far as I know, even with customer service, you cannot activate offline, unless there is some secret key combination you need to press that they tell you about on the phone.

In the end, the best thing that Microsoft could do (which still wouldn't help me here) would be to allow the user to deactivate their copy of Windows, before re-installing or moving to another PC. I have various programs here that let you do that, such as Photoshop. Deactivate, and you will be good to roll.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
YArrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! XP Pro Corporate rules. I love never ever calling for activation or even needing it. I do agree. It should be able to be de-activated so you can reinstall without a problem. Considering you can easily activate XP on an unlimited amount of PC's if you were untruthful to the operators, it would be an excellent way to stop that.

MacMan

Partition Master
One Good Thing About Vista.....

Yes, believe it or not, there is one good thing about Vista's activation process and it's simple: Linux and OS X! Neither one of these great alternatives require any activation codes what-so-ever, or the hell that goes with them.

Of course, some people are forced to use Vista, XP, etc., like editors-in-chiefs, etc., but with each and every passing day the reasons for continuing to use Windows for the rest of us is growing less and less important. Yes, PC's have their games but with dedicated video consoles even that is not the issue it used to be.

Not only that, but OS X without the activation hell is only a fraction of the cost and Linux is free, so why people put up with Vista or XP, I will never know?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I would say that this is more of a Microsoft issue than a specific Vista issue. They are quite strict in their licensing rules. It's one of those things that comes with the territory. Most people don't experience this because most people don't reinstall their OS as frequently as people like us.

B1lk1, you are exactly right. The corporate edition of XP Pro is so very beautiful. I got a copy from the campus book store and have since slip streamed SP2 into the install. It's wonderful to not have to activate Windows each and every time I reinstall the OS.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yes, believe it or not, there is one good thing about Vista's activation process and it's simple: Linux and OS X! Neither one of these great alternatives require any activation codes what-so-ever, or the hell that goes with them.

Of course, some people are forced to use Vista, XP, etc., like editors-in-chiefs, etc., but with each and every passing day the reasons for continuing to use Windows for the rest of us is growing less and less important. Yes, PC's have their games but with dedicated video consoles even that is not the issue it used to be.

Not only that, but OS X without the activation hell is only a fraction of the cost and Linux is free, so why people put up with Vista or XP, I will never know?

The problem is that Windows has been around since the dawn of the GUI. Everyone and their brother have used Windows at one point in time if they have ever been on a PC. And also, most people are afraid of change. It's why Intel still rules the desktop CPU market (rumors of shady business practices aside) and why Microsoft absolutely owns the market share of operation systems (similar rumors surround MS as well). As bad as everyone says Vista is, its not terrible. It's actually decent operating system but Microsoft got a bit carried away in it's attempt to protect us from ourselves. I hope that the flaws in Vista open Microsoft's eyes and force them to not release a shitty OS. I hope the learn from this and bust ass on the next OS that they will inevitably release... or they might just continue to be the Microsoft that got a little bit to confident in their lack or credible competition.

ccdarkness

Obliviot
I once installed vista, right after it has been released.... after 2 or 3 weeks i've put XP Pro back... maybe when Vista SP2 will be available i will try again ;)

moon111

Coastermaker
20070331.jpg

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
While I really don't hate Vista like the rest of you guys, the comic is pretty damned funny and accurate... metaphorically.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Re: Vista ( Ultimate )

I got the Beta2 back when it was offered and yes, it did suk.
I got the OEM Vista Ultimate for 109.00 USD for the latest system build a few months ago.
At first the drivers conficted witht the new OS, then companies started coming out with corrected drivers.
Some programs needed no updating like Photoshop and games ( HL2 Deathmatch ) and ( BF2142 ).
I think it's like all new operating systems, they release too soon to get it out there.But everything is running smooth now.
I also flashed the M2N32 board to the latest ( 107.0 bios ).
Even NVidia came out with Vista drivers that worked great.
All in all it should be a great OS

Merlin

NicePants42

Partition Master
So I had my first run-in with Vista last weekend.

I have two siblings who are off to college, so the family got them each a laptop that had Vista Home Premium installed.

While I was there, I attempted to transfer some files from my sister's desktop to her laptop - since her desktop had apparently not been functioning for some time (unreadable boot volume error) I figured that the easiest way to get at the files would be to load up the desktop HDD in an external enclosure and plug it into the laptop.

Long story short, Vista's security would not let me copy the files, which mainly consisted of a bunch of word documents (school work). I tried several solutions which I looked up online (UAC enabled, disabled, command line takeown, etc.) with no success.

Needless to say that I am not impressed with Vista.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not being able to copy files off of the drive is really odd... is there a chance that the files were 'protected' in Windows XP through her user account? Or, do you happen to remember what the error was?

NicePants42

Partition Master
The original error was caused by a bad sector on the OS partition that prevented the OS from loading during boot-up.

The error I got when trying to copy the files was very general, like, 'unable to perform this operation' kind of general. I have no idea what XP protections she would've had going.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have been testing Vista since before it was released in January here at work. I have defended it quite a bit in talks online and on the phone with Rob but I will not do so anymore. I officially reinstalled XP on my work notebook and will not be "upgrading" to Vista again anytime soon.

Once the "OMFG this is pretty" wears off, your stuck with a unresponsive, slow operating system. Running Vista is like taking a high hard one without being bought a drink.

Good riddance.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I just hope that SP3 for XP is meaningful, not that I can find many flaws that I consider needing overt attention. No plans on Vista-tizing my PC any time soon if ever....

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
If you ask me, the biggest problem with Vista is that it is all about the GUI and not about the actual OS. That pretty GUI it has is eating memory and making video cards work when only displaying a desktop. It even causes your PC to consume more electricity. I for one still firmly believe everything Vista has to offer should have been put in a service pack to upgrade XP, even if there was a one time charge for it. It is a cash grab by M$ and I hope it truely backfires in their face. XP works well and should not be EOL no matter how "old" it is.

UnderRAPS

Obliviot
The original error was caused by a bad sector on the OS partition that prevented the OS from loading during boot-up.

The error I got when trying to copy the files was very general, like, 'unable to perform this operation' kind of general. I have no idea what XP protections she would've had going.

I am a PC tech for Staples and I ran into the same thing on my official tech bench machine (loaded with VISTA?!?!). I was able to access any XP file but only after taking ownership of each file...INDIVIDUALLY!!! I know there must be some way around it but I bugged my manager enough to let me install XP Pro on the tech bench. Belkin sells a XP to Vista USB cable to transfer files...if ya wanna go that route.