Vista 32-Bit 2GB vs. 3GB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I did a few tests the other day and will share the findings here for anyone who is interested. Basically, since Vista 32-Bit only allows up to 3GB of ram, I wanted to test the differences between 2GB and 3GB with various scenarios.

2 x 1GB
5657MB/s - 5608MB/s (58.3ns Latency)

3 x 1GB
5154MB/s - 5149MB/s (56.1ns Latency)

4 x 1GB (Note at -no- time would all 4GB be accessed)
5653MB/s - 5652MB/s (59.4ns Latency)

2 x 1GB + 2 x 512MB
5672MB/s - 5682MB/s (59.1ns Latency)

2 x 1GB DDR2-800 1T
5632MB/s - 5678MB/s (55.4ns Latency)

The thing to note, is that with 3GB or more of ram, my particular motherboard would only allow Windows to see 2.75GB. Yours will be different (unless you have the same motherboard) which would effect the bandwidth and latency results more. Overall though, it should all scale relatively close regardless of boards.

The conclusion? If you want 3GB, you will likely want 3 x 1GB for better overall latency. If higher bandwidth is your concern, going with 2 x 1GB + 2 x 512MB will be the better method.

Really though, I would not go with 3GB on purpose, unless you already have a bunch of sticks lying around. If you want to go above 2GB you may as well just get the 64-Bit version of Vista and use 2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB for the best overall solution.

MakubeX

Partition Master
What?! Every version of Vista 32-bit allows only up to 3GB?! Well that sucks! Yet another reason not upgrade to Vista yet.

I wouldn't even get Windows XP 64-bit yet, let alone Vista 64-bit.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's a limitation of the 64-Bit architecture in general, not just with Windows. I know a few people who have been using the 64-Bit version day in and day out and have experienced a lot of problems, but I think they are the same issues found in the 32-Bit as well.

I did have a few people e-mail me regarding lack of drivers for their hardware in 64-Bit though. 64-Bit is for those who actually need more than 3GB of ram... aside from that I'd say the 32-Bit by far makes more sense.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I'll stop using my 32bit os when they pry it from my systems smooth running daily operations in need for something more graphic and processing intensive. Till then, im only intrigued by threads like this.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I completely agree, the software world is still not ready for 64-bit. It's not that the technology is not available, is just that right now almost everything is optimized for 32-bit. Switching to 64-bit right now can just lead to more problems, like incompatible or unstable drivers (being one of the most common problems).

But it does sucks to know that Windows Vista 32-bit is capped at 3GB. Instead of moving forward, it's going backwards. Hardware is supporting more memory everyday and yet software is holding it back.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
" But it does sucks to know that Windows Vista 32-bit is capped at 3GB. "

Remember that's out of Microsofts control, because it's an arch issue, not their issue. 4GB doesn't work with 32-Bit Linux, either.

On the other side of the coin, they could not have just released 64-Bit versions for two reasons. Many people still don't have capable computers, and there are still too many problems. Vista has enough problems as is, don't need a 64-Bit version ;-)

MakubeX

Partition Master
Ooohhhh, I thought XP could handle 4GB or maybe more. That's why I was so disappointed that Vista 32-bit could only handle 3GB.

Funny how motherboard manufacturers keep increasing memory capacity for their mobos when the software can barely handle today's needs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, if you have a 64-Bit OS you can use a lot more memory ;-)

They just give people the ability, if they want it. No harm in that.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ok, bear with me. 32-Bit is meant to register 2^32 addresses, which is 4,294,967,296 (4GB). 64-Bit however registers 2^64, or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (18,446,744,073GB, 18EB).

So we have a lot of breathing room here.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I see, so in theory 32-bit can handle 4GB, it's just M$ that couldn't make their software do it, or even close. Is that about right?

This means that their 64-bit software is even farther (MUCH farther) away from tapping into 64-bit's real potential.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Essentially, yes. Even though 2^32 can support 4GB, it might not access ALL of it at once. In 32-Bit, it CAN use all 4GB, but only 3GB of it at any given time, if that makes sense. Your computer will see 4GB, but won't be able to use all of it at once.. that's the only way I can explain it, hehe.

As for whether it's a simple Windows problem or not, I'm not sure. If I can find time over the next week, I will install Linux on that rig and install 4GB of ram and try to run a few applications that will stress as much ram as possible. Linux is a little different though, since it relies a lot on Swap space as well. I will see though...

"This means that their 64-bit software is even farther (MUCH farther) away from tapping into 64-bit's real potential."

Oh for sure. As far as I know, even if you added together all the hard drives in the world, you would not hit 18 Exabytes, let alone that much ram in a single computer. With 64-Bit OS', memory is not the issue anymore. Even with 64GB of ram in a single computer, it wouldn't do much good for a normal rig... there are many other bottlenecks. You probably wouldn't be able to use enough CPU operations in order to use that much ram at once, for example.

So in the future with 128-Bit CPUs, it wouldn't be an increase in order to add more memory... it would be to add other capabilities. We are still trying to find uses for 64-Bit, so 128-Bit won't be for quite a long while.

MakubeX

Partition Master
I see what you mean.

Just as an FYI, I'm not trying to flame M$ for not being able to use all 4GB (or close to) at the same time in their OS. I'm just using them as an example to say that even though 32-bit is capable (at least in theory) of handling 4GB, it's the software that isn't there yet.

In practice, it may not even be possible to make it handle the whole 4GB at the same time, but I bet it can come pretty close. At least much closer than what Windows XP or Vista can today.

Don't worry about the Linux thing, I know you're probably very busy. That is unless you really wanna do it. :p

Thanks again Rob.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, well actually now that I think of it... I don't think I need to do Linux testing. I am not sure why, but sometimes things just "come" to me.

4GB was possible for WinXP back in the day, but SP2 took the ability to use it out, for whatever reason. I believe it was something to do with some security feature, but it really, really made no sense to me.

So, 4GB is possible with 32-Bit OS, including Linux. No idea why I thought otherwise there.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just ordered a kit of 18 Exabyte ram for only $1.575 trillion dollars. I will let you know how that goes ;-)

Deth

Obliviot
Hello all

Hello :)

Glad I found this post. I recently bought a new computer

(EVGA nForce 680i // EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB KO // C2D E6600 @ 3.6GHz, 1.4875V // Thermalright SI-128 // CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 // Thermaltake Toughpower 850W // 2x WD Raptors 150GB in RAID 0 // 3ware 9500S-4LP // Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer // NZXT Zero Full Tower)

and I've been reading various articles concerning the memory limit on Windows Vista 32-bit the entire day. After reading my 70th article, I came across two that were very interesting to me. One written by Rob Williams,

2 x 1GB
5657MB/s - 5608MB/s (58.3ns Latency)

3 x 1GB
5154MB/s - 5149MB/s (56.1ns Latency)

4 x 1GB (Note at -no- time would all 4GB be accessed)
5653MB/s - 5652MB/s (59.4ns Latency)

2 x 1GB + 2 x 512MB
5672MB/s - 5682MB/s (59.1ns Latency)

2 x 1GB DDR2-800 1T
5632MB/s - 5678MB/s (55.4ns Latency)

and the other by Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929580

My question is, if I installed another 2GB of CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 and followed the instructions by Microsoft (enable PAE mode so the OS recognizes the 4GB of physical RAM), would there be any overall performance decrease? ie. would my latency or bandwidth decrease compared to what I already have now?

Can any of you test this and reply back please? If this works out, this would be a good reason for me to upgrade to 4GB of ram, enable PAE mode, and keep my current Vista 32-bit OS (saves me money) + 32-bit drivers rock.