VirtualBox 3.0 Final Released

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Boy, it feels like it was just a few weeks ago that the VirtualBox 3.0 beta was released. Oh, right... it was. This release set a new record for software moving from the beta to final release stage, but apparently the software was "virtually" finished... the developers simply wanted to have beta-testing go on for a few weeks before shipping it as final. So, if you're a VirtualBox user, you'll want to make sure you give this one a download.

As I mentioned in the news post a few weeks ago, 3.0 brings two major additions: Guest SMP with up to 32 CPUs and also the introduction of 3D support (OpenGL 2.0 for Windows, Linux, Solaris and Direct3D 8/9 for Windows). As I mentioned in a forum thread, I didn't have the best of luck when testing out the beta, and for the most part, nothing has really changed with the final. Hopefully your experiences will prove better than mine.

In looking around the web, it seems that some people have even been able to get Aero to work, although I've yet to see a screenshot showing that to be the case. Ryan Paul at Ars Technica did show a screenshot of the 3D in action using Ubuntu, however, and it works well enough to even allow Compiz to function. For all we know right now, the 3D aspect might work better on certain cards, but I'm not so sure. In the screenshot below, you can see Windows Vista 32-bit running under the 3.0 final under Gentoo Linux, and neither can I get Aero to work, nor do I have more than one CPU core available (I specified two and three, neither worked).

I'll have to give VB 3.0 a try on other OS' and see if my luck improves. Either way, if you've ever wanted to run Linux under your Windows or vice versa, or even run a different Linux distro (or another OS) under your preferred OS, give the latest version a download... you're unlikely to regret it.

VirtualBox 3.0, the newest version of Sun's high-performance, cross-platform virtualization software, is now freely available for download. The new version can handle heavyweight, server-class workloads like database and Web applications, as well as desktop workloads on client or server systems. It can support virtual SMP (symmetric multiple processing) systems with as many as 32 virtual CPUs in one virtual machine and delivers enhanced graphic support for desktop-class workloads.

Source: VirtualBox 3.0

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Exactly... they keep mentioning "vCPU"s, but last I checked that's not a real CPU. Best I can tell it appears this software only uses one real logical CPU per VM? :confused:

I'm currently using the trial of VMWare Workstation, it's a vast improvement over VMWare Server! Still limited to 2 logical CPU's per VM... but my Core i7 920 is now running four Ubuntu 9.04 64bit machines I cloned from the VM I made with VMware Server. :D Even better I can modify the VM properties now. Four VM's at 1GB of RAM apiece meant my 6GB of memory was more like 1GB for the OS and 1GB for my applications... I cut it down to 768MB per VM and didn't see any impact on performance.

I'm still trying to figure out why running 8 cores worth of data on 4 physical cores is only causing a ~2-3 minute slowdown in computation times per Folding@home SMP program, but so far it appears I'm running two Quadcore's worth of Folding and quite easily netting the "6 cores" worth of performance that Tech Report's testing shows I should be getting. God I love Nehalem.

slugbug

Coastermaker
I heard that if you run native Linux on a core i7 you'll only need to run 2 instances of the Linux folding client with the -smp4 flag to get maximum ppd.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I heard that if you run native Linux on a core i7 you'll only need to run 2 instances of the Linux folding client with the -smp4 flag to get maximum ppd.

I read that, however I also read that they users didn't always get WU's that are capable of running on all the cores when doing this. And I can't do anything I'd want in Linux, so my main PC is staying 100% windows. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Only one real CPU supported? What's the point of that? Although I thought when I tested it out, it DID indeed use three real cores, but I can't recall for sure. I'll have to test this out next time I have Windows booted up on the benchmarking machine.

As for VMware Workstation, I've also become a huge fan... absolutely love it. After having a great deal of trouble with VirtualBox in the limited amount of time I've used it, I think I'll be sticking with VMware for a while.

slugbug

Coastermaker
On a side note VMWare ESXi is a free download and does support 4 processor cores per virtual machine. I registered for the free activation code but haven't installed it yet to test it out.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
After reading the page on it VMWare ESXi doesn't install into an OS, it's a bare-metal hypervisor. Best for performance, but I'm lazy and I want to run everything inside an OS for simple management. I'm sticking with VMware Workstation. :) Let us know how it goes!